Goo Goo Dolls - Absolute Goo

Banner Header

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Goo Goo Dolls News & Info / Re: NEW LIVE ALBUM: available 7/21
« Last post by Caruso65 on Today at 10:32 AM »
Ok, in the UK interview John says they picked 22 songs from over 100 shows and they are mixed and going to be released,
So we have 12 more live tracks coming? It’s still a little confusing, but hope it’s true
Well we now know a new album is coming at some point, probably late next year as a prediction. The boys seem pretty dedicated to keep putting out new stuff more frequently. We also learn that the second live album will be 12 songs some the first is 10 and he confirmed 22. I will did a die-hard goo goo dolls fan and I hope their wish for one more solid hit comes. But I hope they balance that effort with GOOD songs and don’t cater to much to the trends.
An Interview With: Goo Goo Dolls

https://www.academymusicgroup.com/o2academybrixton/blogs/interview-goo-goo-dolls

Ahead of their headline tour and as they celebrate the 20th anniversary of their seminal album, Dizzy Up The Girl, we had a chat with Goo Goo Dolls vocalist, Johnny Rzeznik to talk all about the band's career and his favourite things about coming to the UK.

It’s not long now until you return to the UK, other than the shows, is there anything in particular you’re excited for?

Well, I’m really excited about the shows. I love being over there. I could use a little break from the non-stop news coverage about Trump for sure. I like being over in the UK though, especially in the summer, it’s so nice, it’s great there.

You’re coming over at the right time then, hopefully it’ll be hot and sunny for you!

Yeah, well hot there and hot here [California] are two completely different worlds haha.

This is true! So what’s your favourite memory of touring the UK over the years?

I remember the first time we sold out O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire, even though it’s not that big, there was just something so amazing about that room, I loved it so much and it’s always been a good room for us. That was something I was really amazed with.

Just getting on a bus and going for a ride in London was pretty outstanding, it’s pretty incredible to me. Kinda terrifying, but fun. Going to the Imperial War Museum, that was insane, I didn’t realise just how aggressive you people are haha.

That’s one way to put it! And you’re celebrating 20 years of Dizzy Up The Girl this year, can the UK crowds expect to hear some of their favourites live?

Oh absolutely! We’re going to play some real deeper, older cuts and I want to work more of the deeper stuff into the sets.

How does it feel now knowing that the album is 20 years old?

It makes me feel old haha. I’m really happy that we got to achieve something like that, in that people still actually want to see us play after this much time and we’re still doing well. There are so many bands that came up around the same time as us that are gone.

Looking back, is there anything you’d change about that album, if you could?

Not so much about that album. I think it’s fine the way it is, I mean is it perfect? No, and maybe if I could change the sound of a guitar here or there, or do something like that, would I do it? Yeah, but it is what it is, if I changed one tiny little thing I might not be doing a 20th anniversary tour.

That’s a good way to look at it.

Yeah, I could be selling cars!

Do you still feel an emotional attachment to some of the songs, even after 20 years?

Yeah, definitely. I feel an emotional attachment to them because, they’re all songs about people and places and there’s a sort of cryptic autobiographical thing going on. Sometimes I’m a little more attached to them, sometimes I still get a little emotional when I think about what was going on in my life at that time.

Is it weird remembering where you were at that time?

I was at this super intense, creative point in my life and our band had sort of broken with Boy Named Goo, but that album [Dizzy Up The Girl] blew up really big. It was really cool, but it was also kind of a sad time too. I was going through a divorce and moved away from home for the first time, we moved to California and it was fun, but it was always tinged with a little bit of sadness.

A lot of big personal changes all happening at the same time…

Yeah and if you have a creative outlet, it helps you to deal with a lot of changes. Your work is always going to affect what’s going on in your life.

Well at least you had somewhere to pour all the emotional energy and create some amazing albums over the years.

Thank you! I’m so grateful for that and I get the question, “Aren’t you sick of playing ‘Iris’?” a lot, and it’s like, no because that song, along with a few others is the reason I have a career, so of course I’m not going to get sick of it. I’m grateful that I have anything that anybody wants to listen to.

Exactly! So how do you pick the perfect setlist?

First for us, it’s the rule of y’know, you’ve got to give people what they paid for, so there’s a list of about 12 songs that were all hits and you’ve got to play those. People are expecting to hear songs they know. I hate it when I go to a show and I’m like, “Come on can you just play at least one song I know?”

So there are those and then there are the songs that the band enjoys playing, and the ones that weren’t commercially successful, but really popular with the fans, so we’ll dig in there. It’s not always easy and that’s a luxury problem to have, to have too many songs that people know… we’ll just have to play longer and I’m not going to complain about that.

You must have experienced a lot in your career, so what are some of the biggest lessons you’ve learned?

Don’t let your ego get in the way of keeping things together, that’s a big lesson. Robby Takac (Bass) and I have both had our moments where we’re egotistical a**holes to each other. Listen to people and respect each other’s boundaries and define everybody’s role clearly. The band’s that make it and stay together aren’t a democracy, it just doesn’t work.

Those are some very wise words. Are there any goals or dreams you’d still like to achieve with Goo Goo Dolls?

I think I would like to have one more record that has one solid, big hit on it. It’s so different these days. We always do pretty well on radio over in the US and we get to like, number 15 on the chart, which I’m grateful for, because everything here is so factory pop music. It’s very R&B driven and at some point it has to burn itself out, but it doesn’t appear to be that way.

There’s also the question of like, I’m fine, but there’s so much great music out there and it doesn’t get a fair chance because radio has become nothing but real estate. There’s a lot of great music that never gets heard because it won’t generate more money for the stations. I understand it, but I think it’s incredibly unfair.

What about the future of Goo Goo Dolls? Is there more new music on the way?

Yeah actually, we sorted through 100 shows, picked 22 songs and mixed them to become a two-volume live album. I’ve also started writing for the next album and I think I have about four or five songs in the can for that. Right now I’m taking a week off to be with my daughter and then I’ll get back at it.

Well we’re glad to hear there’s more new stuff on the way and we can’t wait to have you back in the UK!

If you want to experience the pop-rock legends live, then you better be quick as there are only tickets left for their London show at O2 academy Brixton! See below for full details:

O2 Academy Bristol: Tuesday 24 July - SOLD OUT

O2 Ritz Manchester: Wednesday 25 July - SOLD OUT

O2 Academy Brixton: Thursday 26 July
« Last post by Jdt827 on June 20, 2018, 10:19 AM »
Pre-ordered my copy!
« Last post by thinkaboutgoo on June 19, 2018, 05:26 PM »
I don't have a record player yet but I did order my copy.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4283495/edmonton-soundtrack-music-festival-kinsmen/?utm_source=%40GlobalEdmonton&utm_medium=Twitter

Edmonton is known as festival city and on Saturday, its newest addition will transform Kinsmen Park into a 90s-themed music event.

Soundtrack Music Festival runs from 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the river valley park and features performances from Ma$e, Blind Melon, TLC and the Goo Goo Dolls.

The festival will also have an on-site nanny service, a slew of food trucks, live mural painting, and is entirely licensed for those 18 and over.

“Nobody is going to be hungry at Soundtrack! We’ve got some of the best food trucks in Edmonton on-site including Bubba’s Grill, Divine Crepes, Explore India, Hot Mess, Irie Foods, Lemon Heaven, Poutine World, Preserve, Rapscallions and The Purple Perogy,” a news release from organizers said.

READ MORE: 2018 Edmonton Folk Fest headliners: The Decemberists, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Shakey Graves and more

Soundtrack will even let you leave the park for a bit and come back easily.

“You are welcome to come early, leave to drop off your kids, and come back! We don’t want to restrict your exerience because of other obligations.”

For tickets and to view the full Soundtrack Music Festival schedule, click here: http://soundtrackmusicfestival.com/

Organizers said they hope the festival becomes a “flagship donation generator for the Kinsmen Club of Edmonton.”

http://hrscene.com/community/headliners-announced-for-25th-american-music-festival/

Virginia Beach’s annual American Music Festival will feature two bands who have performed there previously: ZZ Top and Goo  Goo Dolls.

Those are two of the bands that will headline the Oceanfront 5th Street Main Stage for the 25th Annual American Music Festival, which runs August 31 – September 2.

Festival organizers announced Monday that Ziggy Marley and SOJA (Soldiers of Jah Army) will co-headline the first night of the festival on Friday, August 31.

Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 the day of the show each night — with Preferred Viewing tickets priced at $50 and $60 day-of-show, depending on availability.

Goo  Goo Dolls will take the stage Saturday, September 1, with ZZ Top rounding out the festival on Sunday, September 2. Ana Popovic and The Josephines will open the show on Sunday.

Shows each night will begin at 6:30 p.m., with the gates opening at 5 p.m. Get more information about the festival — including where to buy tickets — here: https://www.beachstreetusa.com/festivals/chartway-federal-credit-union-american-music-festival-presented-cruzan-rum

*** Tickets and VIP Experience Passes are on sale Friday, June 22 through all Ticketmaster outlets, including online www.ticketmaster.com or by phone at 800.745.3000.  Children younger than 12 are free with a paid adult.  Children are not free in VIP nor Preferred Viewing areas.  The Virginia Beach Visitor Information Center will be selling three-day general admission pass vouchers.  There is a $2 service fee.  Cash and checks are accepted.  The Visitor Information Center is located at 2100 Parks Avenue.  Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily (757.385.7873).***
Do you have tickets to see Goo Goo Dolls perform in Bristol, Manchester and/or London this July? Would you like to win a Meet &Greet pass to one of these shows? Don't delay - Enter our lottery now, and good luck!

http://absolutegoo.com/enter-to-win-a-meet-and-greet-for-the-goo-goo-dolls-2018-uk-shows/

Reminder: One entry per person per show. Entries close 12 Noon EST 1 July, 2018. Must be 18 to enter. Meet and Greet does NOT include show ticket. Meet and Greet is for ONE person only & ID MUST match winning name.

You have to hit the link to read this one, folks!

https://issuu.com/stencilmag/docs/issue49/110
Goo Goo Dolls News & Info / Re: Roll call..who's in?!
« Last post by dellp84 on June 14, 2018, 10:47 PM »
I’ve got my tickets to Charlotte, Buffalo, LA, Vegas and more then likely Phoenix. So excited I can’t wait!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk