Ben

For all Boxes' haters.
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:12 PM »
. I go in on a Tuesday, and I’m hanging out with my buddy Greg, who’s messing around with a synthesizer. Or we sit around and play piano. It’s just the freedom of it. I no longer feel the pressure of trying to write hits for the radio anymore. And it’s a lot of fun sitting with the people I work with. I have an incredible amount of respect for them. We give each other a lot of room to breathe and we have fun. Robby and I started writing songs together again on this album. On Magnetic I said, “I’m not going to tie myself down to one producer because I think and feel different things on different days.” The albums have always been, like, “where is my head at?”

Rzeznik (2015)

Just saying.

stargirl

Re: For all Boxes' haters.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:41 PM »
EXACTLY!!!! I remember reading this.. I think I was on Twitter.  ;D

Bsxae8

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 02:06 PM »
There it is folks. John specifically said he didn't write Boxes to try to get on the radio.

So for those on this forum who are going to continue to say otherwise, the only logical conclusion is that you are literally calling John dishonest in that he didn't mean what he said in this interview.

Me amp; My Arrow

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 02:52 PM »
. I go in on a Tuesday, and I’m hanging out with my buddy Greg, who’s messing around with a synthesizer. Or we sit around and play piano. It’s just the freedom of it. I no longer feel the pressure of trying to write hits for the radio anymore. And it’s a lot of fun sitting with the people I work with. I have an incredible amount of respect for them. We give each other a lot of room to breathe and we have fun. Robby and I started writing songs together again on this album. On Magnetic I said, “I’m not going to tie myself down to one producer because I think and feel different things on different days.” The albums have always been, like, “where is my head at?”

Rzeznik (2015)

Just saying.

I think people are getting too caught up in the language here. There've been a few extreme posts accusing the band of being "sell outs," but for me that's not the point at all. I think most people agree that Johnny seems happier and freer to write whatever he wants than he has at any point in the band's career. His discomfort with Name's success, his writer's block before Iris, the band's frustration with piracy and the relatively "worse" reception to Gutterflower, the rewrites on SFTROU: these difficulties have all been thoroughly documented across the years, and in addition to the band being in a happier place, based on interviews, Johnny's in a better headspace as a person as well (married, sober, etc.).

These are all great things for the band as people, but they aren't necessarily great things for the band's art. I believe Johnny when he says he worked hard on Boxes, that he's not trying to write hits, etc. But when you consider the factors above, it seems to me that, at the very least, the band is taking a more hands-off or relaxed approach to songwriting. They're working with a variety of producers who are helping manage the songwriting burden, they're not too concerned about trying to take the songs in a specific stylistic direction and are happy to make whatever they and the producers feel like, Johnny's said he's less involved with the music part and focused more on the lyrics and vocals, etc.

All of this means that you hear more of the influence of the producers and the pop music cultural context in the music. As everyone's agreed, the band's style is evolving to fit more in line with pop trends. Some people refer to that as selling out (which, yes, is derogatory), but what people are really lamenting isn't the fact that the music doesn't sound like the SSCW-Gutterflower era (though I'm sure almost any GGD fan would be over the moon if the band put out a killer album similar in style to one of those albums), it's that the band's approach to writing and releasing music now is less the product of a group of close friends and musicians struggling to make incredible songs and more the impact of a large group of industry producers and session musicians helping shape the band's music into something relevant, fun, and marketable. Johnny may not be trying to write radio hits, but the producers (and label) certainly are. That's their sole purpose: write songs that will be popular on the radio and sell. So the pressure's off Johnny in this scenario, and I'm glad he's enjoying the process, but there's no question it's a very different process that produces very different end results.

And then there's a whole separate discussion that could be had about whether some level of pressure is important when trying to create great art or music. For example, Johnny feeling the immense weight of following up the popularity of Name led to a generation-defining song (Iris) and following up one of the great pop-rock albums of all time (DUTG) led to the band's darkest and arguably most introspective album to date (Gutterflower). No one would ever wish dark times on the band, and ultimately for their happiness a future of Boxes-type records is probably the best route to follow, but when Johnny describes feeling less pressure to write hits, he's also describing less pressure to accomplish the incredible musical feats he achieved earlier in his career.

ggdfan25

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:04 PM »
. I go in on a Tuesday, and I’m hanging out with my buddy Greg, who’s messing around with a synthesizer. Or we sit around and play piano. It’s just the freedom of it. I no longer feel the pressure of trying to write hits for the radio anymore. And it’s a lot of fun sitting with the people I work with. I have an incredible amount of respect for them. We give each other a lot of room to breathe and we have fun. Robby and I started writing songs together again on this album. On Magnetic I said, “I’m not going to tie myself down to one producer because I think and feel different things on different days.” The albums have always been, like, “where is my head at?”

Rzeznik (2015)

Just saying.

I think people are getting too caught up in the language here. There've been a few extreme posts accusing the band of being "sell outs," but for me that's not the point at all. I think most people agree that Johnny seems happier and freer to write whatever he wants than he has at any point in the band's career. His discomfort with Name's success, his writer's block before Iris, the band's frustration with piracy and the relatively "worse" reception to Gutterflower, the rewrites on SFTROU: these difficulties have all been thoroughly documented across the years, and in addition to the band being in a happier place, based on interviews, Johnny's in a better headspace as a person as well (married, sober, etc.).

These are all great things for the band as people, but they aren't necessarily great things for the band's art. I believe Johnny when he says he worked hard on Boxes, that he's not trying to write hits, etc. But when you consider the factors above, it seems to me that, at the very least, the band is taking a more hands-off or relaxed approach to songwriting. They're working with a variety of producers who are helping manage the songwriting burden, they're not too concerned about trying to take the songs in a specific stylistic direction and are happy to make whatever they and the producers feel like, Johnny's said he's less involved with the music part and focused more on the lyrics and vocals, etc.

All of this means that you hear more of the influence of the producers and the pop music cultural context in the music. As everyone's agreed, the band's style is evolving to fit more in line with pop trends. Some people refer to that as selling out (which, yes, is derogatory), but what people are really lamenting isn't the fact that the music doesn't sound like the SSCW-Gutterflower era (though I'm sure almost any GGD fan would be over the moon if the band put out a killer album similar in style to one of those albums), it's that the band's approach to writing and releasing music now is less the product of a group of close friends and musicians struggling to make incredible songs and more the impact of a large group of industry producers and session musicians helping shape the band's music into something relevant, fun, and marketable. Johnny may not be trying to write radio hits, but the producers (and label) certainly are. That's their sole purpose: write songs that will be popular on the radio and sell. So the pressure's off Johnny in this scenario, and I'm glad he's enjoying the process, but there's no question it's a very different process that produces very different end results.

And then there's a whole separate discussion that could be had about whether some level of pressure is important when trying to create great art or music. For example, Johnny feeling the immense weight of following up the popularity of Name led to a generation-defining song (Iris) and following up one of the great pop-rock albums of all time (DUTG) led to the band's darkest and arguably most introspective album to date (Gutterflower). No one would ever wish dark times on the band, and ultimately for their happiness a future of Boxes-type records is probably the best route to follow, but when Johnny describes feeling less pressure to write hits, he's also describing less pressure to accomplish the incredible musical feats he achieved earlier in his career.

All of this :) Thank you for putting it so eloquently :)

stargirl

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Well said Me & My Arrow!  8)

Pon

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:34 PM »
But it sounds like the stuff on the radio....

There it is folks. John specifically said he didn't write Boxes to try to get on the radio.

So for those on this forum who are going to continue to say otherwise, the only logical conclusion is that you are literally calling John dishonest in that he didn't mean what he said in this interview.

Pon

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:39 PM »
In short "Me & My Arrow", the GGDs are less involved in their music and let the producers decide the direction of where the album goes..which is to make the most profit as possible by following pop trends. I think that is a very fair assessment. So that pretty much free them of selling out..but more like they don't really want to work as much.

EyesWideOpen

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:40 PM »

Some of us don't listen to this "radio" thing of which you speak, so thankfully, I don't understand half those comparisons.  8)

madc55

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 04:52 PM »
At the end of the day none of us will ever know what is in John's mind regardless of an interview.   I personally think he tries to write good songs that gather interest from all different types of formats.  Being a fan for a long time I could care less what any one person thinks of them and at the end of the day I know I like them and that is all I really care about.  I want them to do well and looking forward to the Tour. I'm going to like certain songs on this album(The Pin & Boxes) just from the clips and I might not like certain songs(Reverse)to name a few.   

That type of viewpoint hasn't changed for me since 1995 and they are still trucking along.  I also will give Warner Bros some credit for sticking with them as long as they have.  Most record companies get as much out of you as the can and spit you out.   They have some form of respect for the band and their material to keep putting them out there.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:19 PM by madc55 »

summerchic45

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 05:47 PM »
At the end of the day none of us will ever know what is in John's mind regardless of an interview.   I personally think he tries to write good songs that gather interest from all different types of formats.  Being a fan for a long time I could care less what any one person thinks of them and at the end of the day I know I like them and that is all I really care about.  I want them to do well and looking forward to the Tour. I'm going to like certain songs on this album(The Pin & Boxes) just from the clips and I might not like certain songs(Reverse)to name a few.   

That type of viewpoint hasn't changed for me since 1995 and they are still trucking along.  I also will give Warner Bros some credit for sticking with them as long as they have.  Most record companies get as much out of you as the can and spit you out.   They have some form of respect for the band and their material to keep putting them out there.

I agree with this!!

I personally love that they are willing to take risks and create songs outside of the box, so to speak, and go outside of their zone! A lot of artists do it, Steven Tyler to Country - Taylor Swift to Pop - and Lady Gaga to Jazz with Tony Bennett and their album Cheek to Cheek. Watch how passionate the Studio Version of the song, But Beautiful, is on YouTube and how they "feel" the music. It matters most how the artist feels and being moved by the songs that they sing and where their heads are at. That's what makes a great song! How boring it would be if everyone stayed in their bubble and never reached out and tried something new. Hats off to the Dolls for growing, making great music, and staying relevant with bringing new fans on board, such as my niece. If it wasn't for Magnetic, she would've never heard of the Goo Goo Dolls. Now, she calls to tell me that they are releasing a new album called "Boxes", lol! Bless her heart! A new generation of fans have been born!

I'm so excited for the release of Boxes!!! Hurry up, Friday!!  :)

Pon

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 06:16 PM »
I don't listen to the radio much either...but I can't help but hear Taylor Swift, The Wanted, and Just Beiber songs all over the place.

This is one exampe of a song that the Goos sound like.
The Wanted - Glad You Came

Cher - Believe

Some of us don't listen to this "radio" thing of which you speak, so thankfully, I don't understand half those comparisons.  8)

Pon

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 06:26 PM »
@summerchic45
How are they taking risks by going pop? The reason why anybody would go pop is because of extreme low risk and higher rewards. I don't think the musicians listed were making any risks...they're very very big and the other things they do are just extra income. Tyler is so big and his material is endless..he could do anything he wants. Most of Swift's fans were teeny boppers..they were already listening to pop music to begin with. I think the Jazz thing with Bennet is just a side project.

@madc55
We don't know what's going on in John's head..but we know what his music in boxes sound like....pop music on the radio.

I agree with this!!

I personally love that they are willing to take risks and create songs outside of the box, so to speak, and go outside of their zone! A lot of artists do it, Steven Tyler to Country - Taylor Swift to Pop - and Lady Gaga to Jazz with Tony Bennett and their album Cheek to Cheek. Watch how passionate the Studio Version of the song, But Beautiful, is on YouTube and how they "feel" the music. It matters most how the artist feels and being moved by the songs that they sing and where their heads are at. That's what makes a great song! How boring it would be if everyone stayed in their bubble and never reached out and tried something new. Hats off to the Dolls for growing, making great music, and staying relevant with bringing new fans on board, such as my niece. If it wasn't for Magnetic, she would've never heard of the Goo Goo Dolls. Now, she calls to tell me that they are releasing a new album called "Boxes", lol! Bless her heart! A new generation of fans have been born!

Ben

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 06:46 PM »
For everyone bashing them,  just listen the last 15m of About Last Night podcast. John is stating that he doesn't give a crap about the money. He is in the best moment of his life at this moment and he and Robby are damn proud.

BulletproofAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 07:14 PM »

I agree with this!!

That's pretty great about your niece lol, are you bringing her to a show?
"Breaking down the walls in my own mind"-So Alive