Goo Goo Dolls - Absolute Goo

Banner Header

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Goo Goo Dolls News & Info / Vinyl albums
« Last post by Jdt827 on February 18, 2018, 03:21 PM »
I have the awesome vinyl box set of the first 5 albums as well as Dizzy, Magnetic, Boxes, and You Should Be Happy all on vinyl. Does anyone know if they plan to release Gutterflower, Let Love In, and Something for the Rest of Us on vinyl? I thought I read somewhere they would come shortly after the first box set but haven’t heard about it in a long time. I’d love any insight someone may have.
Prodigy Richie English is the 'Axl Rose of Buffalo classical music'

"He's the Axl Rose of Buffalo classical music," Robby Takac of the Goo Goo Dolls says. "He throws himself into every project he's involved in, with everything he's got."

Takac is referring to Richie English, the classical music prodigy, educator, arranger and pianist he hired as "composer-in-residence" for his GCR Audio recording studio in 2009. While comparing English – at once, one of the most serious and most self-effacing young musicians you're likely to meet – to the Guns 'n' Roses singer might seem to be a case of false equivalency, one gets the point: Like Rose, English is an artist who holds nothing back in his quest for personal and professional excellence.

With the zeal of a musical missionary, English – a 2007 magna cum laude graduate of the University at Buffalo's school of music, who has written orchestrations for a broad array of high-profile artists, among them the Goo Goo Dolls, Aqueous, Michael Franti, former Paul McCartney collaborator Denny Laine, the Reign of Kindo, Cardiacs, and Jillette Johnson – has stubbornly refused to forget his initial musical inspiration.

"I remember sitting in the car while my parents drove, insisting on listening to 'real music' - the classical station - when I was 10," English said. "And it continued from there."

Indeed it did. Cut to Aug. 12 last year, and that precocious 10 year-old is now 32 and a musician of considerable repute, conducting his own orchestration of the Goo Goo Dolls' massive hit "Iris" alongside the band, while some 12,000 fans filling the Darien Lake PAC look on appreciatively.

Surely, English felt he'd arrived.

But, work with famous rock bands notwithstanding, English still saw himself as a missionary bound to spread the gospel of classical music. He loved working with top-flight artists like the Goos. But he loved Rachmaninoff, Brahms, Chopin, Liszt, Scriabin, Stravinsky and, most of all, Wagner, even more.

Fortuitously, shortly after that Darien Lake bow with the Goos, English's mother saw an opening advertised for a part-time broadcast host position at WNED, and her son accepted this as a momentous occasion, one suffused with such highfalutin concepts as "personal destiny" and "inevitability".

English walked into WNED a classical music zealot. He walked out with a new title – classical 94.5 WNED FM evening host.

"I had ideas for shows racing through my mind even when I was just a kid," English recalled. "I’d hear (WNED music director) Stratton Rawson’s utter intellectual command delivered via that mellifluous voice you could trust, and I knew this would be part of the missionary ministry all of my musical life is centered around."
'A different way of thinking'

Hang around English long enough – and I have, beginning when English enlisted my son to accompany him on guitar as he played one of his compositions at the 2014 Music is Art Festival -  and you get used to the unflagging intensity that seems to fuel his every thought, word and movement.

For him, being a musician is not a job, it's a calling, and he seems incapable of pushing this thought to the side while he concentrates on more mundane realities. Like, ever.

"Richie has a different way of thinking," said Justin Rose of GCR Recording, who has acted as musical partner to English for the better part of a decade. "When we collide, it's always a journey for me to try and translate his vision into reality, no matter how unique it might be. I've grown as a musician and a human being working alongside him."

That "different way of thinking" means that, if you ask English a relatively straightforward question like, "What can immersion in classical music teach listeners willing to take the time to really listen?" you'll get an answer that is an entirely different ZIP code than anything resembling the humdrum.

"People are starving for the real thing, not some pale imitation or approximation," English said, and it's as if he was speaking in italics and caps. "Classical music is the story of characters – themes, melodies, motifs – undergoing a journey. Along the way events occur and transform them – changes of key, tempo shifts, explosive instrumental attacks that fragment the themes, break them down or recombine them.

"Each piece is an absolute allegory for our lives: music begins, undergoes a transformative journey, and ends. Without even knowing it, we’re circumscribing classical music onto our souls, because of that singularly unique parallel.

"The great composers were just like us – they experienced heartbreak, STDs, substance abuse, poverty, all of it. Classical music allows people to observe their own journey, often without even knowing it. But when you do know that it’s happening, you can ask yourself why you’re having the reactions you’re having. That is what art does – it generates visceral reactions from us, horrid or transcendent. We can deepen our experience when we ask ourselves why we’re having that reaction, and just follow it down."
Connecting to younger audience

Not surprisingly, the folks at WNED are well aware they've found in English the perfect storm – a deeply talented classical musician who considers it his life's work to both celebrate and share the transcendent and transformative powers of classical music with listeners.

"As both a working composer and a prodigious pianist, he brings a unique insider's perspective to the task of presenting music," says WNED music director Rawson – yes, that same Rawson the 10 year-old English listened to religiously back in the day.

"He can spend the afternoon arranging music for a rock band and later that evening, immerse himself and his audience in the music of Chopin and Schubert and, as they say, not miss a beat. And what fresh ears he has. Richie’s love for music is palpable and comes across directly to listeners of any age, although we have noticed that he does tend to attract younger, non-traditional listeners."

Hearing the words "classical music," "radio" and "younger audiences" uttered in the same sentence in 2018 – when the image of young people immersing themselves in Wagner or Stravinsky via terrestrial radio is as incongruous as the appearance of snow in July – smacks, perhaps, of wishful thinking.

But don’t tell that to English. He's just plain not having it.

"I have a need in me to share this tradition in every way I can, and I consider it a serious responsibility," he insisted. "All the outlets – composer, performer, theorist, historian – I was taught all those elements in every single piano lesson I ever had. Maybe that’s why my absolute favorite composer is Richard Wagner – the singularity of his vision, the fact that he did absolutely everything. That’s what drove him so mercilessly, and that’s what drives me: the need to share this galvanic experience that classical music delivers on such an unimaginable voltage level.

"For me, being on the radio is like being a guide on a mountain tour, and simultaneously, being one of the guided."

Email: jmiers@buffnews.com

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/16/richie-english-a-prodigy-is-the-axl-rose-of-buffalo-classical-music/
Goo Goo Dolls News & Info / membership up to date tweet
« Last post by googoodollsforever on February 17, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Hey, anybody know why there was a tweet about making sure our memberships are up to date *cough*  Could this be a tour coming???
Goo Goo Dolls News & Info / San Antonio Rodeo 2/16/18: Photos & Videos
« Last post by BulletproofAngel on February 17, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Some photos and videos from the San Antonio Rodeo!

Thanks to goochick22 for "Big Machine"!

Thanks to goochick22 for "Iris"!

Here is Gone:

So Alive:

Over and Over:

The band exiting the rodeo:

Thank you to Greg G. (@ggrze) for: 

Thanks Annie for:

Thanks to Delsdelight for a Better Days clip:
https://instagram.com/p/BfTmnR8FGrm/
John Rzeznik will headline “From Classical to Rock” on April 28th! Tickets are on sale NOW! A VIP option is available too, so head to the ticket site after getting details below.

“From Classical to Rock (FC2R) was founded by the famous Chinese violinist Yutong, Rock musician Marten Andersson (Steelheart, Lizzy Borden, Lynch Mob) and acclaimed cellist Stan Sharp to help benefit music education. FC2R has joined forces with Orange County Music & Dance, the area’s first and only community performing arts school, to present a star-studded evening benefiting music education for Orange County communities.

Hosted by Randy Jackson and headlined by Johnny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls, the concert features original music scored by Nathan Wang, one of the biggest Hollywood composers, and more than 20 high profile musicians from classical music to Rock and Roll. It’s a magical performance of musical poetry, where platinum-selling rock musicians meet acclaimed classical music musicians and classically trained music students.

Want to meet some of the performers after the show? Purchase any $250 VIP ticket and receive free admission to after party.

Performers include:

Hosted by Randy Jackson – Producer, bassist, American Idol judge
John Rzeznik – lead singer, The Goo Goo Dolls
Alex Boye – Pop & YouTube Sensation
Lynn Harrell – Renowned Cellist
Miljenko Matijevic – Steelheart and The Doors
Roger Kalia – Assistant Conductor Pacific Symphony
Monte Pittmann - Madonna
Yutong – P.S., LA Phil, Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
Chas West - Foreigner
Nathan T. Wang – International Music Composer
Stan Sharp – Long Beach Symphony, Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
Marten Andersson – Steelheart, Lizzy Borden, Lynch Mob
Cameron Wright – Pop Sensation
Chris Broderick – Ex-Megadeth
John Tu – Jazz band leader
Christopher Lennertz – Famous Music Composer
Emma Lee – Principal Cellist
Jane Lee – Accomplished Pianist
Stephen Chesney
Ben Zelico

For full bios of the performers, click here. For more information about OC Music & Dance, click here.

Return Policy:  All sales are final, no refunds no exchanges.

Saturday, April 28, 2018 @ 7:00 PM

http://www.thebarclay.org/events-details.asp?n=explore-events&n1=view-events&n2=b&refId=1358B8EA-1D4E-4F28-85EE-48BBD077ECD4

From Classical to Rock

https://www.sflinsider.com/2018/02/10/dolphins-cancer-challenge/

*Click the link to see a great photo slideshow*

Over 4,000 attendees came together to sing, celebrate and punch cancer right in the face at the eighth annual Dolphins Cancer Challenge at Hard Rock Stadium.

Goo Goo Dolls and Big Head Todd and the Monsters perform.This remarkable event gave all of its proceeds to the University of Miami’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. To help raise money for this ongoing fight against cancer, they had five different bike routes including a 100 mile loop that ended in the stadium floor. As bicyclists came through, they were surrounded by cheering fans, family members and fellow contestants. Each rider received a commemorative Dolphins metal upon completion. Also, to raise money was a 5k run, a garage sale with Dolphins jerseys and admission to the event. To see and hear the stories of cancer survivors who after surgeries and grueling recovery were now completing this 100 mile bike route with all smiles stole your heart. There were many Miami Dolphins players in attendance too cheering them on like CB Bobby McCain, S T.J. McDonald, LB Raekwon McMillan, CB Tony Lippett, DE Andre Branch, WR Francis Owusu and RB Senorise Perry. Taking part in the festivities was legendary WR Mark Duper, team president Tom Garfinkel and owner Stephen Ross. The Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders were there too along with the University of Miami Marching Band and football players. Together they created a celebratory partisan for the cancer survivors to walk through. The beautiful Miss Florida Sara Zeng was also there cheering them on.

The Dolphins Cancer Challenge was truly a great family event. One side of the stadium had the stage, the concert and was pretty packed, but the other side was filled with fun activities for the kids. There was games all themed with pink and cancer awareness, a huge inflatable slide and inflatable jumping apparatus, an animal tent where you could touch snakes, gators, Macaws and feed turtles. There was face painting and a number of booths giving away free samples of food and drinks like Fresh Meals.

This event also had a concert with two amazing bands. Opening up the day was the Colorado band Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Lead singer and guitarist Todd Mohr tore it up in a blending of soul, blues and acoustic rock that only they could bring. This hybrid of sounds was really showcased on their track It’s All Right, which he also sampled Let’s Get It On into the song. Their biggest and best hit Bittersweet they played to a cheering and applauding crowd.

The front of the stage really started filling up as the Goo Goo Dolls took the stage. They went right into Tattered and played many hit songs like Slide, Black Balloon, Naked, So Alive, Something For the Rest of Us while trading the vocals from frontman John Rzeznik to Bassist Robby Takac. Midway through their set John told us how blown away he was when he heard about the events cause. He asked the audience what they got as a reward and they said a metal and we get to see you. Humbly John responded, “Us, we’re not that good.” But, than the band went into one of their biggest hits Name, which everyone sang together and they couldn’t argue if they were good or not.

This event, the Eighth Annual Dolphins Cancer Challenge was so much better than one could imagine and what it supported and continues to support in the fight for life itself. There isn’t a single person alive who hasn’t been affected by cancer or knows someone that has, but the wonderful people at Sylvester are making a difference and great strides for a cancer free future.

Goo Goo Dolls News & Info / Greg Grze shares his awesome photos from the Miami show!
« Last post by AsIAm on February 14, 2018, 09:47 AM »

Awesome show, Awesome shots, Greg! Thank you for sharing them with us all.

You know the drill, folks - click on the photo for a larger view. Enjoy!

https://en.woodstockfestival.pl/aktualnosci/goo-goo-dolls-na-duzej-scenie-przystanku-woodstock

Goo Goo Dolls at Woodstock Festival Poland
2018-02-13 08:58:39

The multi-platinum, Grammy-nominated Goo Goo Dolls are one of the most globally respected and influential forces in popular music, selling more than 12 million albums since 1986. The band was established in Buffalo, New York, by vocalist and guitarist John Rzeznik and vocalist and bassist Robby Takac, who went on to enjoy a massive commercial and critical success in the following years.

They have scored 14 Top 10 radio hits (more than any other artist in the history of the Hot AC format), including "Name," "Slide," and "Iris," the latter spending nearly 12 straight months on the Billboard charts and holding the No. 1 position for 17 consecutive weeks. The band has toured the globe countless times, performed in front of millions of fans, received numerous awards (including four Grammy nominations), and recorded and released 11 full-length studio albums. On May 12, 2017, they released their first 5 song EP, You Should Be Happy and have been touring the US throughout the summer of 2017. Their August concert at Woodstock Festival Poland will be the band’s first show in Poland.

Their runaway hit “Iris”, originally written for the cult classic film City of Angels, is one of the best-known songs released by the band, but the dynamic alternative rock ensemble has made a lasting mark on music – with 11 studio albums and countless live shows across the globe, the Goo Goo Dolls enjoy their status as bona fide rock stars.

“Iris” is notable in more ways than one – it is not only the biggest alternative rock staple of the last decade of the 20th century and an instantly recognizable hit, but also the biggest crossover single – conquering radio charts regardless of their genre, proving that good music knows no boundaries.

The lead singer and one of the founders of the band, John Rzeznik, describes the inspiration behind the hit power ballad as follows:

“I was thinking about the situation of the Nicolas Cage character in the movie. This guy is completely willing to give up his own immortality, just to be able to feel something very human. And I think, "Wow! What an amazing thing it must be like to love someone so much that you give up everything to be with them." That's a pretty heavy thought”.

The song enjoyed a massive commercial success and received critical acclaim as well. The hit song was nominated for Grammy Awards in the following categories: “Record of the Year”, and “Pop Performance by a Duo or a Group” at the 41st Grammy Awards. In 2008 the single has been certified Platinum and in 2012 it was ranked as number one on Billboard’s “Top 100 Pop Songs 1992-2012” chart. Goo Goo Dolls have been featured on Billboard’s chart with two other hit singles – “Slide” at number nine and “Name” at number 24, proving their lasting influence on alternative rock and pop music at the time.

The band has been recently busy touring the US to introduce their American audience to their newest release You Should Be Happy.

Goo Goo Dolls are also well known for their philanthropy work and their generous support of worthy causes. The band’s concerts also serve as donation drives and thanks to their fans’ generosity millions of meals have been delivered to people in need. The artists have been also working with food bank charities and have supported different charitable organizations such as Autism research organizations, educational initiatives. Members of the band also make generous donations to other charities. John Rzeznik is an ambassador for VH1's Save the Music Foundation, while Robby Takac is the founder of the Music is Art Foundation.
Is anyone else here from Poland?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10