Goo Goo Dolls - Absolute Goo

Banner Header

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Before taking their stage on Java Jazz Festival 2018, Goo Goo Dolls went uncensored to answer questions about their career and musicianship. What do they have to say after the overshadowing mega-hit 'Iris' in 1998?

Videographer: Singgih Prahagian & Febi Ramdhan
Video Editor: Brilliant A. Dharma
Contentwriter: Larasati Oetomo
Goo Goo Dolls lead singer John Rzeznik stopped by our FOX News Radio studios to speak about the 'Garden of Dreams' concert that he is going to be apart of with special guests OAR.

FOX's Tonya J. Powers speaks with Rzeznik about his baby girl, his influences, the advice he'd give to young bands coming up and what he is listening to these days.

Click the link to listen to the interview below:
Flip Side / MOVED: Buffalo Music Hall of Fame Songwriters Contest
« Last post by Gen on March 22, 2018, 12:07 AM »
This topic has been moved to [GGD News & Info].
Goo Goo Dolls News & Info / We Are The Normal on vinyl!
« Last post by Jdt827 on March 21, 2018, 10:04 PM »

Awesome find on Amazon!!

Lucille & Jack Yellen Foundation Songwriter's Scholarship

Program Overview

The Buffalo Music Hall of Fame, in collaboration with the Lucille and Jack Yellen Foundation, have been awarding young songwriters up to the age of 23 the chance to professionally record an original song since 2013. They are announcing their fifth songwriter scholarship that is open to budding young songwriters up to the age of 23.

One deserving recipient will receive a scholarship that entails a recording session at Robby Takac's (Goo Goo Dolls) GCR Recording Studio. Hall of Fame inductees will be on hand as session musicians and mentors.The winning song will be mastered and placed on a CD and presented to the songwriter.

This scholarship competition is open to all amateur songwriters up to, and including, the age of 23. (Collaboration with people older than 23 will not qualify) Songs are judged equally on originality, lyrics, melody and composition. Quality of performance and production of entry will not be considered. Six finalists will be chosen by a committee comprised of Buffalo Music Hall of Fame board members and inductees. The finalists will be required to have their song performed at a showcase to be held at the Hard Rock Café, Niagara Falls USA on Wednesday May16, 2018 at 7:00 pm. One single recipient will be selected at this showcase and will receive the scholarship listed above.

Deadlines - all entries (official form along with MP3 and lyrics) must be received by Midnight, April 7, 2018 at - You can download the official form: click here

The 2017 Scholarship recipient was Matthew Connolly. Matthew recorded his original composition "Wedding Dress" with accompaniment for BMHOF Inductees, Jerry Livingston, Kenny Kaufman and Howard Fleetwood Wilson II. The song is in post production and will be posted below soon,

Our recipients have worked with some top-knotch musicians including:

2013 - Erin Sydney Welsh (guitar and vocals): Joe Rozler (piano), Howard ”Fleetwood” Wilson II (drums), Frank Grizanti (guitar), Steve Sadoff (bass guitar) Justin Rose (mixing/engineering), Anthony Casuccio (mastering), Tom Lorentz (producer)
"It was invaluable to spend time with such skilled musicians and have the experience of working in the studio. The actual song turned out really great, but I think my greatest gain came from what I learned while making it; as someone who has always been interested in but also intimidated by the production side of the music industry, it was beneficial to see what goes into a song and how musicians with much more experience than myself are able to tailor a sound to a certain piece to get the most without overpowering the song."

2014 - Jessica Chizuk (guitar and vocals): Howard ”Fleetwood” Wilson II (drums), Frank Grizanti (guitar), Richie English (synthesized strings), Jerry Livingston (bass guitar) Justin Rose (mixing/engineering), Anthony Casuccio (mastering), Tom Lorentz (producer)

"Working with those involved with the BMHOF songwriting competition were some of the best experiences in my music career thus far. Collaborating with amazing, top notch musicians on my own song is something I'll never forget"

2016 - Lyndsay Munich (Lynz) (guitar and vocals): Chris Panfil (fiddle and mandolin), Mark Panfil (banjo), Jim Whitford (bass & pedal steel guitar), Mike Stamp (cajon & percussion) Justin Rose (mixing/engineering), Anthony Casuccio (mastering), Tom Lorentz (producer)

"It was amazing to win the competition. I've been writing songs and doing home recordings for 5 years now and so winning this meant I got to record in a real studio for the first time. All the musicians really added a lot to the song and it was great to have Tom (Lorentz) as a producer. I really learned a lot since I'm used to doing everything myself. I would encourage any songwriter to submit their work for this competition. I would also say don't give up if you don't make it on your first try  – this was my second time submitting!"

2017 - Matt Connolly, (guitar, lead vocal and all backing vocals, song writer and arranger). GCR Recording (Studio),
Piano:   Ken Kaufman (Piano), Jerry Livingston (Upright Bass), Howard Fleetwood Wilson II (Drums and percussion), Tom Lorentz (Producer), Justin Rose (Chief Engineer), Anthony Casuccio (Mastering Engineer)

“Recording Wedding Dress at GCR was a great experience. The opportunity to work with such talented musicians and bring my song to life was so gratifying. I had a vision for Wedding Dress and I think we truly captured it in the studio that day.”
Thanks to Denise Fitz for taking this video of Smash:

Here is Gone:

Thanks to Dana Peck for Sympathy:

Over and Over:

Come to Me:

All of that sounds good.

I’d love another live album but with deeper cuts. I see no value in another live album filled with the same hits. I’d go for it if it had the deep cuts. I also wish they’d do re-releases of albums with songs previously unreleased. (If applicable) most bands record 15 to 20 songs for an album but the Goo Goo Dolls may literally write as many as end up on the records which may attribute to the varied number of songs for each album. They used to write 14 tracks, then 13, then 12, then 11. I wonder if there are any other previously unreleased songs like Walk Away was for Boxes.
In my dream world, they'd announce a run of small shows (500 capacity venues, etc.) where they're only going to play tracks that they haven't played to death on the road in the last 20 years.

With a smaller venue like this and clear advertising that they're going to be playing deep cuts, we'd be able to hear all the songs off DUTG that we never hear live (January Friend, Full Forever, Hate This Place, Bullet Proof) and also hear deep cuts off Gutterflower (It's Over <- still think its never been played live), SSCW and other records....

My dream world will never happen, so I'd love to see a smaller (1,000-2,000 capacity) run where they play the album front to back and ignore their other hits for deeper cuts too! I doubt the non-single stuff will ever happen because they love playing the hits at every single show, but a 20th anniversary DUTG tour would be great (even if we have heard Dizzy, Slide, Broadway, Black Balloon, and Iris at most shows since 1998) !
This new potential art project would also pay tribute to the Goo Goo Dolls and other music greats from Buffalo.

Neon Rick James sign may light up Elmwood Avenue

A large neon sign featuring the likeness of Buffalo-born funk star Rick James may soon anchor a new project designed to transform a little-known public parking garage near the former Women's and Children's Hospital into a destination for fans of Buffalo music and public art.

A rendering provided by the advertising firm Fourth Idea shows James in bright red boots in the iconic pose he struck on the cover of his 1981 record "Street Songs."

The plan also calls for the garage, on the 400 block of Elmwood Avenue, to be transformed into a tribute to Buffalo music history, with murals and installations honoring Western New York musical greats and graphic elements resembling turntables, stereos and cassette racks. It has been aired to generally positive response in a pair of community meetings and is now under consideration by the Buffalo Arts Commission.

The project, which emerged from a competition launched by Newell Nussbaumer of Buffalo Rising and supported by local developer Rocco Termini, is the brainchild of Buffalo designer Thomas Mooney and his advertising firm, Fourth Idea.

"This is about celebrating musical heritage and Buffalo's rich history, from the Goo Goo Dolls to Harold Arlen," Mooney said. "There's a lot to talk about and a lot to celebrate."
The purpose of the project has three main goals: to alleviate parking along a busy Buffalo thoroughfare, to infuse a struggling block of Elmwood Avenue with new life and to create a destination for Buffalo music fans who lack a public place to honor the city's many musical success stories.

For developer Rocco Termini, who owns Thin Man Brewery at 492 Elmwood Ave. and serves on the board of Buffalo Civic Auto Ramps, which operates the parking garage, the project has the potential to transform an urban block that has long faced challenges.

"We're in like a death spiral on Elmwood Avenue. Yeah, the property values have gone up but nobody can afford to rent there," Termini said. "How do you draw attention to Elmwood to make it something where people want to go to?"

Newell, a longtime resident of the Elmwood Village, agreed.

"There really is nothing like that in Buffalo that pays tribute to all of these incredible musicians that we have," Nussbaumer said. "People will be out there taking selfies with Rick James and people will say, 'Oh, let's meet over on that section of Elmwood where Rick James is.' It would create a signature work of art, a signature bookend or anchor for the neighborhood."

The choice of James to anchor the project, given his conviction for a pair of separate, drug-fueled incidents in the early 1990s in which he and his girlfriend were accused of holding women captive and torturing them, is sure to be controversial.

"I think the question is one that should be addressed and debated vigorously. The idea behind memorializing his place in culture and musical history is where we were coming at this from," Mooney said, adding that he and the project organizers are open to adapting the proposal based on public feedback. "It's certainly not intended to celebrate anything other than that, and to celebrate all the positive aspects of Rick James as an artist."

You can see some artist renderings of the proposed project here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10