Goo Goo Dolls - Absolute Goo

Banner Header

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
It’s a Wildflower Friday!  We’re stoked to send you to Wildflower Arts and Music Festival, May 18th-20th in JT’s hometown, Richardson.  See Goo Goo Dolls, Jimmy Eat World, Gin Blossoms, Lifehouse, Starship, Kool & The Gang, Eve 6, Switchfoot and many more!

Listen all day Friday to win your free tickets!

For the Wildflower contest, enter by listening on Friday, April 27, 2018 to 100.3 JACK FM. To enter you must listen between 6:00am and 7:00pm CT for the announcement of cue to call. Upon hearing the cue to call, the designated caller to get through the station contest line 214-787-1003 will win a prize. Five (5) total winners will be selected in this contest, and upon verification, will receive four (4) tickets to the Wildflower Festival on May 18 - 20, 2018 at the Galatyn Park station in Richardson, TX, courtesy of Wildflower!  Arts and Music Festival.

https://jackontheweb.radio.com/contest/wildflower-friday
"After we play the album, we're gonna play a lot of older songs, a lot of deeper cuts..."

Woohoo!! DUTG was my first Goo Goo Dolls album - I was 12 when it came out - but I didn't see them live for the first time until 2003. So there are a lot of songs from DUTG that I'm excited to hear live, plus a lot from earlier albums that I've never heard live and would LOVE to hear, like Two Days in February and Ain't That Unusual and pretty much anything from Superstar Car Wash (but especially On the Lie, Stop the World, Domino, We Are the Normal, Cuz You're Gone)... I'm sure some of those are just wishful thinking, but it would be so cool if a few of them popped up in the second set.

I'm going to the second Buffalo show (which is so exciting to me - I've never seen them there even though I'm only a couple of hours away) and then the Toronto show. I can't wait for October!
http://mix96buffalo.com/heres-what-will-happen-at-the-goo-goo-dolls-concerts-in-buffalo/

The Goo Goo Dolls will come back to Buffalo for 2 intimate shows at Shea’s on October 19 and 20.

Both shows will start at 8 PM at Shea’s.

The first hour they will play the album that sent them into superstardom, Dizzy Up The Girl, from front to back. The hits from that album are probably the biggest fan favorites to this very day including, Dizzy, Black Ballon, Iris, Slide and Broadway.

Then they will launch into their latest and greatest hits from their albums including Gutterflower, Let Love In, Magnetic and Boxes.

Oh yeah–they’re all sold out. We’ll be hooking you up with your tickets now through the show!
Some photos recently popped up online:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcbpeZS
Written by Sam Lambeth

After initially entering the world of earnest acoustics sheepishly, Buffalo punk stalwarts Goo Goo Dolls embraced their sentimentalities with the globe-gobbling Dizzy Up the Girl. They may not have wanted the world to see them, but the latter was only too happy to listen. Sam Lambeth reinvestigates.

Aside from possessing a Scrabble-winning surname, Johnny Rzeznik didn’t feel he had much to contribute musically. After years of ploughing a punk-infused furrow with little success, the Goo Goo Dolls’ chief songwriter was struggling to find his own niche. Feeling lost, he absent-mindedly twiddled the tuning pegs of his acoustic guitar. The rest became history.

The band then made a name for themselves with, well, Name, a big-hearted ballad that belied their brand of Boston-style bullishness. A significant shed of their core fanbase followed, but Name finally gave the Goo Goo Dolls the recognition that had eluded them. When it came to sourcing a further smash, Rzeznik turned – or tuned – to his trusty acoustic once more. The resulting songs made up Dizzy Up the Girl, a global smash that saw the Goo Goo Dolls firmly cross the border from scrappy underdogs to post-grunge juggernauts.

Twenty years on, Dizzy Up the Girl’s big-hearted sentiments, widescreen longing and arms-aloft ascensions feel more than just the soundtrack to a million sad Scrubs scenes. Similar to his heroes Paul Westerberg and Bob Mould, Rzeznik proved he was just as handy playing haunting acoustic melodies as he was with more choppy fuzz. A prime example is the aching, string-drenched Black Balloon, a suitably soaring slice of lingering melancholia allegedly written about the deceased ex-wife of bassist Robby Takac. Buoyed by Rzeznik’s rasp and a sweeping finale, Black Balloon combines murky introspection with radio-friendly gloss.

If in the past Takac and Rzeznik were coy about their newfound acoustic adoration (Name, after all, was buried deep down in the tracklisting of 1995’s A Boy Named Goo), here they revelled in it. Slide, another radio rock staple, is introduced with an inimitable arpeggio and glides along gracefully. Another standout comes in the surprising form of Acoustic #3. At just under two minutes, its length and title make it deceptively throwaway, but its heart-warming tale of a girl’s lost dreams are more devastating with such subtle brevity.

In truth, the Goo Goo Dolls’ transition had been more granular than fans would admit – 1993’s Superstar Car Wash was the beginning of a smoother ride, while A Boy Named Goo possessed a sharper focus. However, bassist Takac stuck loyal to their tried and tested formula. On Dizzy Up the Girl, he contributes a series of solid, if inessential, slabs of breakneck fuzz. The standout, January Friend, rollicks along on shards of melody and a sun-tinged outro. It’s Rzeznik’s growth that gives the record its emotional heft, however, and even when he turns the distortion up – such as the throbbing floor-filler Dizzy and the ode to his hometown drunks, Broadway – there’s a newfound melodic muscularity.

Of course, Dizzy Up the Girl’s everlasting currency is down to the behemoth that is Iris. It eclipsed Name by some distance, taking the torch ballad motif and bathing it in an irresistible chorus and rich orchestration. Originally featured on the soundtrack to City of Angels, it’s a goosebump-inducing moment that may have lost some appeal due to constant airplay, but still packs a heavy punch.

Dizzy Up the Girl gave Goo Goo Dolls global recognition, but it wasn’t quite the end of their commercial heyday. If in the UK the band’s top 40 fame stalled with the release of Iris, around the world they’ve continued to produce a commendable set of hits, from the anthemic Here Is Gone and disco-tinged Big Machine to the wistful Rebel Beat and Stay With You. This year, the band will tour Dizzy Up the Girl in its entirety, announcing the release with a slightly bizarre but tongue-in-cheek film trailer. While Name gave them their big break, Iris has given them their staying power.

Goo Goo Dolls are on Facebook and Twitter. They tour the UK throughout July.

http://louderthanwar.com/goo-goo-dolls-dizzy-up-the-girl-turns-twenty/
Hey! I'm from Toronto, and I'm going to the second Buffalo show and then the Toronto show. Can't wait!!

In Toronto: Rebel's in kind of a weird location - it's right by downtown but still somehow feels to me like it's in the middle of nowhere. (It does have a nice view of the Toronto skyline, though!) I'm not a lot of help for hotel recommendations, sorry! There are tons of them downtown, but I'm sure they're all pretty expensive, so it might be worth looking into Airbnb.

The Distillery District and Kensington Market are fun neighbourhoods to walk around, and if you want a bit of time away from the hustle and bustle, you could try High Park, Ontario Place, the Leslie Spit, or the Toronto Islands. (I'm totally biased because my dad grew up there and I grew up visiting my grandparents there, but I think the Toronto Islands are one of the loveliest places in the city - and honestly, it doesn't even feel like you're in the city anymore.)

Crossing the border to Buffalo in a car will be totally fine. (You can also do it on a bus, which is what I'm going to do.) Wearethenormal is right about Toronto traffic, though. ;) I wouldn't drive around in the city any more than you have to, but for getting to Buffalo, renting a car is a good option, especially if you're planning to stop in Niagara Falls on your way there - and you should! I've actually never been on the American side of the falls, but I'm sure they would be stunning from either side. At that time of year, hopefully it shouldn't be too cold yet (but wear warmer clothes than you think you'll need).

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip and your song!

P.S. Wearethenormal, I appreciate your Buffalo tips too. I've been there once for a show (not Goo Goo Dolls), and I've been through there a whole bunch of times, but I've never actually looked around the city very much. I'm really hoping to have some time to explore on the Saturday before the show!
Hi there!!! I live in Buffalo, crossing the border here isn't bad but Toronto traffic can be brutal. The highways in and out of the city are six lanes each side! If you are thinking about renting a car, make sure to check at the hotel if they can give you directions - the toll roads/lanes aren't marked and you may be charged later for it. You will need your passport to cross the border both ways.

Downtown Buffalo has expanded over the last few years. The Buffalo Sabres ice hockey team plays at KeyBank Center downtown. Their season starts in early October and often have Saturday afternoon games (schedule will be out in June). The area outside on the waterfront called Canalside hosts many events each weekend. Buffalo is stereotyped for "always being snowy" but Octobers have been warm lately.

Buffalo is the home of "Buffalo wings" (we call them chicken wings). The Anchor Bar is said to be the original home of the chicken wing. Visit Buffalo Niagara released the Buffalo Wing Trail earlier this month, which contains other top wing joints.

Buffalo is also known for its great architecture. Explore Buffalo does walking and bus tours.

Niagara Falls is only 30 minutes from downtown Buffalo and a must-stop! The American side is more like a national park where the Canadian side has more restaurants/tourist stuff. You can drive over the Rainbow Bridge or there is a walkway to cross the gorge.

In Canada, I would recommend Swiss Chalet. It is a chain restaurant known for its rotisserie chicken and AMAZING savory sauce. The last one in Buffalo closed in 2006 but my husband and I cross the border every few months to have it. Canadians are also crazy about poutine (french fries covered with gravy and cheese curds) and all-dressed chips.
Goo Goo Dolls News & Info / The AG Podcast for 4/16 is Up!
« Last post by Gen on April 16, 2018, 07:45 PM »

On this week's Pod, Gen and Jules talk about the #dizzy20 tour, a Meet and Greet contest for the Wildflower Arts and Music Festival, and our Compass House mini auction for Goo Goo Dolls tickets and M&G's!

http://absolutegoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/podcast-april-2-15.mp3
https://m.mixcloud.com/3DM_LIVE/coachella-2018-cash-cash-live-14-apr-2018/

John Rzeznik performs as a special guest with Cash Cash at the Coachella Music Festiival on April 13,2018.  His performance begins at the 29:44 mark. The musicians joined forces to perform the Goo Goo Dolls’ “Slide” and Cash Cash’s “Lightning”.
Hey there! I'm going to the Toronto show at Rebel as well! Hope to see you there.

For the show, I'd advise you to come as soon as possible for the front row places. Its a general admission theatre which means its a first come basis. I know I'll be there early.

For the city of Toronto, there's a lot to do! Just hanging about downtown Toronto itself is pretty fun. But I'm sure it can't compare to London. There's the Ripley's aquarium under the CN Tower. Lots of great resteraunts around Dundas Square. Maybe Nathan Phillips Square might have the ice rink open. You can go up to the CN Tower, there's a revolving restaurant up there. Lakeshore is a great place for a good walk near sunset time. Lots of great bars in downtown too. (I saw Noel Gallagher at a bar once watching the ManCity game) Do try the poutine!

I hope this helped. If there's anything else you need, feel free to shout out here. HAVE FUN!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk