What do you want in the next album?

· 13 · 973

Jdt827

• View Profile
What do you want in the next album?
« on: January 19, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Hey guys, hoping to open up a discussion about what you hope for in a new album? Whether it be another all out pop album like the last two or something that’s a nice mix of rock and pop and like Dizzy through Rest of Us?

I do hope there will be some rockers on the new album and maybe an epic ballad since we haven’t really seen one since Dizzy. (I guess you can count Before It’s Too Late, just lacks the epic part.) I also hope they get their first big hit in years. I know John really wants one more. Ultimately, I really want a guitar album with solos again regardless of how heavy the songs are.   

manda90

• Yeah all the things that you are....
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want in the next album?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Hey guys, hoping to open up a discussion about what you hope for in a new album? Whether it be another all out pop album like the last two or something that’s a nice mix of rock and pop and like Dizzy through Rest of Us?

I do hope there will be some rockers on the new album and maybe an epic ballad since we haven’t really seen one since Dizzy. (I guess you can count Before It’s Too Late, just lacks the epic part.) I also hope they get their first big hit in years. I know John really wants one more. Ultimately, I really want a guitar album with solos again regardless of how heavy the songs are.

Like you, I hope there are some rockers on the new album!! Really looking forward to new music!

mamalew317

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Being a hopeless romantic with a little bit of an edge, I would love to hear a ballad as well as rock.  It's all good when it comes to this band in my humble opinion.  :-*

kimberlymhb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:34 PM »
I am sure that any new music they bring us will be amazing.  But, I would LOVE to hear a cover of "Hallelujah".  It would be beautiful, I just know it.  :)

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 03:20 PM »
I would love to hear more rock and raw emotion. A beautiful ballad, but maybe about something deep and thought provoking. A lot of people want more rock with every album. I also would love more Johnny solos on guitar,not acoustic. Thanks for doing this. I really hope the band gets our feedback.

jordhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 09:40 AM »
They can serve up what they want really and I’ll give it a shot.

One prayer would be some more electric guitar.

ggdfan25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 09:17 PM »
I think the Goo Goo Dolls' signature sound comes from John's alternate tunings. I hope every song has a different tuning and we're hearing more Sus2, Sus4, Major 7ths, than major and minor chords.

Playing DUTG, and Gutterflower on piano was lightyears harder than playing some of the more recent stuff. I hope they get back to this same level of complexity in the songwriting.

I don't care so much about having a harder rock album, just an album that's really fucking hard for me to play on the piano and that has lyrical complexity akin to the depth on DUTG, Gutterflower. There's a reason everyone connected with DUTG... Those songs are incredibly deep musically and lyrically.... I think some of that depth is lacking from LLI on, save for a handful of songs, and I'd love to see them really push themselves musically and lyrically on this new album.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 10:09 AM »
I'd also like to add I want the boys to write and compose music that comes from their soul, bc if it's not truly something they feel passionate about, it will not come across in an authentic way. Band and audience need to connect.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:27 PM by googoodollsforever »

Ben

• She asks if I'm a lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 12:50 PM »
I dont really care for a rock album. That sound is not coming back because thats not where their headspace is at the moment. John said he didn't want to make the same album twice. I'm just really happy that they are making new music and I would love anything really. I was the one with the most criticism on their pop sound but you know what? I love it all. Magnetic is almost their best album after Gutterflower for me. I would love some songs with the sound of Big Machine, Truth is A Whisper but also Slow It Down, Bulletproofangel and even Reverse, Souls in the Machine.

Give me it and I'll love it for sure, because they own each genre.
I keep on looking but something's always missing.

Jdt827

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 01:02 PM »
I love this response. I agree. New music is enough to make me happy. I do have a wish list similar to yours. I LOVED the mixing on the two live records they just put out because the older heavier
Songs blended so well with the new soft/pop songs. So Alive in particular sounds so rock-oriented on the live track, it’s increble. I hope the new album will have a nice blend of rock and pop and I won’t complain.

jordhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 01:27 PM »
I dont really care for a rock album. That sound is not coming back because thats not where their headspace is at the moment. John said he didn't want to make the same album twice. I'm just really happy that they are making new music and I would love anything really. I was the one with the most criticism on their pop sound but you know what? I love it all. Magnetic is almost their best album after Gutterflower for me. I would love some songs with the sound of Big Machine, Truth is A Whisper but also Slow It Down, Bulletproofangel and even Reverse, Souls in the Machine.

Give me it and I'll love it for sure, because they own each genre.

I think I may be the complete opposite.

It doesn’t have to be rock, but I really hope it isn’t like Magnetic. If John’s statement that he doesn’t want to make the same album twice is anything to go by though, hopefully it won’t be.

In my eyes, Dizzy20 is the most vital they’ve been in years, that’s why I flew to Seattle to see it and skipped the U.K. tour on my own door step.

Just my two cents of course. Really didn’t rate Magnetic.

Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 01:53 PM »
I agree, I think the Dizzy20 shows were great!

And -- I love Gutterflower SO much, but I know every album is different, so I'm waiting to see what this will be like! I like that the records evolve with them, and they're not trying to be identical to how they were in their 20s.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Totally agree with you Annie!  I remember an interview where John said he's not in that place anymore; he said he's not living in a hut.  Then he said do people want me to fake it?
No to that! John writes from his soul and that's what matters.????