Thoughts, Concerns, Nightmares and Dreams

· 10 · 1033

Jdt827

• View Profile
Thoughts, Concerns, Nightmares and Dreams
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Please don't jump down my throat for talking about this - I'm just being honest and hope others will appreciate that and maybe chime in respectfully. Hoping this is still a safe space for us Goo-obsessed fans.

I just want to say I'm concerned about what to expect in the new music (which is probably a topic before every new album). Before I get into the concerns I want to say I love the band through all the evolution and love the new material. I'm absolutely not the fan who cries "this doesn't sound like Hold Me Up" 30 years and 10 albums later. Although 60% of Magnetic is pretty crappy, I absolutely love Boxes - even the risky creative liberties with "Reverse" and the ultra pop "Lucky One." I found that album was a beautiful balance of being original, relevant, and still having hints of their entire evolution.

When the band released "You Should Be Happy", I found Tattered Edge, Use Me, and Walk Away to be extremely solid tracks. Tattered Edge really is the perfect song to connect their past and thier present. Use Me is the most modern with a hint of 90's flare to it while Walk Away sounds like an outtake from Dizzy Up the Girl had a baby with a Lumineers track. And I love it. My acceptance of their eclectic sound remains high as ever.

Even with the bands continuation into modern pop territory, they continue to make sure we hear the guitars (even if the amps are turned down significantly album by album). There's still that edge in a lot of softer tracks whether it be lyrically (So Alive) or a throwback explosive chorus (The Pin) or the Tom Petty-esque opening on Tattered Edge.

If we we continue to see albums comparative to Boxes, I wouldn't complain. I really love it. But in the recent interview with Sam Hollander on Chorus & Verse, Johnny revealed they are collaborating on what I must assume is the upcoming 12th Goo Goo Dolls record. I am not here to bash Sam. He deserves the notariety for his work. But looking at his discography, it's all pop at pops worst. It's the trendiest music at the given time of his credits releases. His most recent success include "Hands Clap" by Fitz and the Tantrums and "High Hopes" by Panic at the Disco. I can't help but find this absolutely fracking horrifying for what the next GGD record might sound like. Not that those are bad songs (well they are horrible to me, but I know that's subjective) they are highly electronic, over produced computer music that all consist of 35 writers. I am literally so worried about this to the point I've realized I'm way too obsessed with the band and need to chill, but at the same time, I'm so emotionally invested in their music and lyrics that it's hard to let it go and not care. I know the day will come when they finally release an album that completely makes me throw in the towel as an active fan. I'm just not ready for it! Like I recently posted on Facebook, few things make me as childlike happy as knowing a new Goo Goo Dolls record is coming. I'm 28 and uber saddened by the state of modern mainstream music. We've all but abandoned guitars and actual instrumentation in music. Is "thank you, next" the new Bohemian Rhapsody? I'm getting off topic...

I hope readers will understand I acknowledge how whiny I'm being about this. But I also hope you'll try to understand and if you have thoughts to share, please share them! Maybe something will make me less pessimistic :-)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:57 PM by Jdt827 »

AsIAm

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts, Concerns, Nightmares and Dreams
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:02 PM »

Well. We know they have engaged a gospel choir, so that will be super cool for sure...Can't wait for the new stuff!

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Gospel choir on a goo goo dolls album, wow! Love how the band keeps evolving, and trying new things. I get it. I'm emotionally invested too. So much so that I have learned to not spend hours watching and listening to all things goo. It's about balance. So excited to hear new  stuff.

jordhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 02:09 AM »
Very nice post, jdt827. I wholeheartedly agree.

Like you, I really didn’t rate Magnetic. Maybe 95% to your 60%; and with time my taste for it has only further soured. It’s the only record I do not listen to one track off. In fact, seeing Rebel Beat on the setlist makes me cringe.

However, I love Boxes. I think for the most part it’s a home run. I always consider it to be the record that Magnetic should have been. Whereas Magnetic is all fluff and no bite, Boxes has an edgy streak yet is still the perfect antidote to SFTROU which is a bit bleak, for lack of a better word.

I’m honestly looking forward to whatever they’re cooking up. The You Should Be Happy EP was actually a perfect little mix of rock n roll and pop. And I actually prefer 30k feet to any of the songs Robby did on the previous two records.

If they use Boxes and the reception the DIZZY20 tour recieved as a foundation, I reckon it’ll be great.

And oh, Foo Fighters used a pop producer on concrete & gold I believe, and that was still a loud rock album. I don’t read too much into who they’re producing with.

Jdt827

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Very nice post, jdt827. I wholeheartedly agree.

Like you, I really didn’t rate Magnetic. Maybe 95% to your 60%; and with time my taste for it has only further soured. It’s the only record I do not listen to one track off. In fact, seeing Rebel Beat on the setlist makes me cringe.

However, I love Boxes. I think for the most part it’s a home run. I always consider it to be the record that Magnetic should have been. Whereas Magnetic is all fluff and no bite, Boxes has an edgy streak yet is still the perfect antidote to SFTROU which is a bit bleak, for lack of a better word.

I’m honestly looking forward to whatever they’re cooking up. The You Should Be Happy EP was actually a perfect little mix of rock n roll and pop. And I actually prefer 30k feet to any of the songs Robby did on the previous two records.

If they use Boxes and the reception the DIZZY20 tour recieved as a foundation, I reckon it’ll be great.

And oh, Foo Fighters used a pop producer on concrete & gold I believe, and that was still a loud rock album. I don’t read too much into who they’re producing with.

The guys who responded above you were right, I gotta care in moderation haha. But thank you for sharing this. That definitely makes me feel better about it and I am of course looking for to it!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32 PM »
That was me! Yes moderation in all things, especially goo  -;)

cloudthirtytwo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:27 AM »
I agree with a lot of what you said here.

The You Should Be Happy EP is actually one of my favourite releases from them in a long time. I absolutely LOVE "Tattered Edge" and "Walk Away," but really the whole thing is solid. I feel like it captures the best aspects of all the things they do so well, from raw, acoustic beauty to the harder, rockier stuff. It feels like an evolution without losing any of the classic Goo Goo Dolls sound that I think makes them special.

Like you, I had a hard time getting into Magnetic. I love real instruments, and for me, Magnetic had way too much of the "highly electronic, overproduced computer music" you mentioned. I don't know anything about Sam Hollander beyond what you said here, and that DOES make me nervous, but Jordhunter's post made me feel a little better on that front, haha.

Boxes, in a couple of places, still has maybe a little more of the synthetic stuff than I'd ideally like, but I think it's a much better balance, and overall it's an album I really enjoy. Hopefully, Boxes and You Should Be Happy are an indication of where they're going - I would be up for that!

What did you think of the clip they posted yesterday? It wasn't long, but it was great to hear a little something, and I think it definitely sounds promising... need to hear more!

Jdt827

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Thank you for responding! I wish the forum was more active haha. That clip honestly eliminated my concerns. That guitar riff was... well... Magentic... and that very small glimpse of the choir style backing vocals sounds beautiful. If a short clip like that has me this excited, I have s feeling we are in for a great album of perfect balance.

Speaking of Magnetic, I actually LOVE most of the songs. I just can’t stand the production. You can’t hesr the guitar in most of the songs. Rebel Beat is such s great song when it’s live or acoustic. But the rare times you can hear a little acoustic, it almost sounds muted or drowned out. And that’s really the whole album in my opinion. Great songs with big misfortune on the mixing.

cloudthirtytwo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 09:01 AM »
I'm not sure if I would say that I LOVE most of the songs on Magnetic, but I completely agree that the production is the main problem - the songs are WAY better live. Even with better production, though, I can't really imagine that any of them would be up there among my top GGD songs, and lyrically, I think they've done a lot better on other records. But I still probably could have been a lot more into that album if it weren't so synthetic sounding. I know that's where a lot of current, popular radio music is going, but... that's why I don't listen to much current, popular radio music. ;p

I'm with you on the guitar riff from the new album clip! I also love the way it's mostly acoustic guitar for a bit, then everything drops out for a second before it all kind of comes back in full force. I feel like the impact of that is going to be awesome. The choir obviously creates a different kind of sound than we're used to hearing from them, but it does sound beautiful, and I'm really intrigued to see how it plays out once we get to hear the full song.

WAIT - I'm not musical, so excuse me if this is obvious (or is completely wrong or doesn't make sense), haha, but the vocals they're recording in the first ten seconds of the clip are actually for the part I just described toward the end of the clip where everything drops out and then comes back in, right? Like those "oooh"s are over the last bit of acoustic guitar and the beginning of the empty space where all the instruments have cut out, and then the "I'm gonna be" starts in the empty space before all the instruments come in on "fearless." That seems obvious to me now, but it just hit me after about a hundred listens, haha. (I know I'm way overanalyzing this 45-second clip, but it's all we've got for now, so what else can I do? :p)

Thanks for starting this thread! It's a fun discussion.

Jdt827

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:20 AM »
I think you’re right, that’s the chorus so I think we’ll hear it throughout the song. What I think I’m hearing “I’m gonna be fearless, fearless” before cutting off. I and I agree the song will crescendo getting bigger and bigger with the choir. I am very curious what will come after that one line we hear. I will admit if it’s a full stanza of “I’m gonna be fearless, fearless” repeating 4 or 8 times like Flood from Boxes, that will be extremely disappointing. I’ve said in many discussions, Floods chorus is it’s Achilles Heel. The verses lead to a really crappy and repetitive chorus but the verses themselves are awesome. I hope that’s not the case with this new track but it’s highly likely as most modern pop songs are just repetitive one-liners for a chorus... ex. ALL Ellie Goulding songs lol. However, I’ll admit repetition can work really well depending on the song and melody.

I’m going to make a bold prediction and say they chose that song as a tease for a reason... 1st single and it’s called Fearless... just a guess. And if it were t for Taylor Swift having a relatively recent and well known album called fearless, I’d even speculate that’s the name of the new album. But that would be strange since TSwift has that album. I’ve never even heard it but it’s so well known.