Goo Goo Dolls - Absolute Goo

Banner Header

Did John forget how to write a chorus?

Theshvedi

Did John forget how to write a chorus?
« on: April 30, 2016, 09:24 AM »
I've been a GGD fan for many many years. In the past, one thing you could always count on with John's songs is a catchy, rousing chorus. It's true for 95% of his songs. But on Boxes, the choruses are nothing more than repeating the same words again and again (So alive, over and over, the pin, ghost in the machine, the flood, etc). No melodies. Nothing uplifting. Nothing I feel like singing. Compare that with any song on DUTG or Boy Named Goo, or even Magnetic.

I think John has lost what made him special: the melodies. I'm sorry, but the new stuff is crap.

Re: Did John forget how to write a chorus?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 10:58 AM »
I've been a GGD fan for many many years. In the past, one thing you could always count on with John's songs is a catchy, rousing chorus. It's true for 95% of his songs. But on Boxes, the choruses are nothing more than repeating the same words again and again (So alive, over and over, the pin, ghost in the machine, the flood, etc). No melodies. Nothing uplifting. Nothing I feel like singing. Compare that with any song on DUTG or Boy Named Goo, or even Magnetic.

I think John has lost what made him special: the melodies. I'm sorry, but the new stuff is crap.

Wait until you listen to the song Boxes, this isn't the case in that song its so beautiful

Star

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:01 PM »
Wow,people you do realize that the guys are human. Would you like me to visit where you work, rip into you to about how bad I think you suck at doing your job.

Theshvedi

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Star, honestly, that is the dumbest comment I have ever read.

Pon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Yeah...a lot of repeats and weak chorus. Even though I think "the pin" is one of the most amazing song I'd heard in 15 years.....the lyrics in the chorus is pretty weak. It's hard to know what the hell they are talking about and it's just repeating. You pulled the pin..yeah you pulled the pin...awww you pulled the pin. This song will never become a hit because the chorus just seems confusing, meaningless, and disconnected. It sounds great though.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 08:59 PM »

We won't tolerate personal attacks on other board members.
"Keep your memories but don’t live the past..."

Pon

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Just to be fair, star's comment was about going to someone's workplace and harassing them. That was a pretty dumb comment.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Just to be fair, star's comment was about going to someone's workplace and harassing them. That was a pretty dumb comment.

So after me saying to someone else not to personally attack other board members, you then thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and do it again? I'm pretty sure no one asked your thoughts on the matter.

Let me make it crystal clear --   debate all you want about the music, but don't attach other board members.
"Keep your memories but don’t live the past..."

Star

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Sorry guys.I was on a street car running around NOLA. What I was trying to say is, Music is the guys work correct me if I'm wrong. So basically you guys are saying how bad they are doing at their job. I used going to your job and doing the same to you as you are doing to them as an example. Old rule treat others as you wanted to be treated. Believe me I would never waste my time dealing with the bullshit of going to someone's work.I have more important things to do with my time.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 10:34 PM »
hmmmm...have the choruses really changed ???

Let's take a drive back in time to these chorus's that have changed soooo much over the years...

"Well I guess it's just the way you are, I guess its just the way you are, I guess its just the way you are, well I guess it's just the way you are"

"There you are, there you are, you are, there you are"

"Cuz your gone, and you ain't coming back, yea your gone, and you ain't coming back"

My point is that besides the drop in electric guitars, the choruses really haven't changed much for me at all over the years. Thoughts ?

Pon

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:18 AM »
No problem!

However, I think that music is to be judge...anything that is marketing to the public is to be judge.

Sorry guys.I was on a street car running around NOLA. What I was trying to say is, Music is the guys work correct me if I'm wrong. So basically you guys are saying how bad they are doing at their job. I used going to your job and doing the same to you as you are doing to them as an example. Old rule treat others as you wanted to be treated. Believe me I would never waste my time dealing with the bullshit of going to someone's work.I have more important things to do with my time.

Pon

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 12:34 AM »
Yeah..but that was in their earlier years where John was starting to sing and develop. It was actually impressive that he was singing and doing half of the songs. From there, the choruses and lyrics improve tremendously.

Right now, it seems lazy. Weak/repetitive lyrics, hiring others to co-write songs, less guitar playing, and the beats are weak.  I know people keep talking about evolving and trying something new...but what they're doing is doing what's already been done by other artists. There is a lot of following the trend and imitations. And it just doesn't sound right because it's not something that they do. This is the first time people are saying things like this since.....well..probably never said it before. Do we really believe that they couldn't put more effort into the chorus for "the pin"? I love the song but it's the most lazy chorus I'd ever heard in my life.

hmmmm...have the choruses really changed ???

Let's take a drive back in time to these chorus's that have changed soooo much over the years...

"Well I guess it's just the way you are, I guess its just the way you are, I guess its just the way you are, well I guess it's just the way you are"

"There you are, there you are, you are, there you are"

"Cuz your gone, and you ain't coming back, yea your gone, and you ain't coming back"

My point is that besides the drop in electric guitars, the choruses really haven't changed much for me at all over the years. Thoughts ?

Bsxae8

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 08:21 AM »
You, you hit the nail on the head. John is just lazy. After decades of writing music, he's become totally lazy and apathetic in his songwriting. He turned on the radio one day while writing Boxes, heard a Justin Bieber song, decided he'd like a couple of extra zeros at the end of his bank account, and wrote an entire album trying to sound like him and Taylor Swift.

...end sarcasm...

Honestly what kind of discussion is this for a FAN SITE? I'm not saying you have to praise and glorify, or even personally enjoy, every single song that the band puts out. But baselessly accusing John of intentionally writing bad music to try appeal to a younger audience crosses the line. If you think John is that shallow of a songwriter (not to mention a liar, since he's said many times that this album is thoughtful and meaningful to him), then why are you on his fan site? Go listen to another band's music and participate in another band's fan site if you really think John is writing disingenuous garbage.

Theshvedi

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 10:53 AM »
You, you hit the nail on the head. John is just lazy. After decades of writing music, he's become totally lazy and apathetic in his songwriting. He turned on the radio one day while writing Boxes, heard a Justin Bieber song, decided he'd like a couple of extra zeros at the end of his bank account, and wrote an entire album trying to sound like him and Taylor Swift.

...end sarcasm...

Honestly what kind of discussion is this for a FAN SITE? I'm not saying you have to praise and glorify, or even personally enjoy, every single song that the band puts out. But baselessly accusing John of intentionally writing bad music to try appeal to a younger audience crosses the line. If you think John is that shallow of a songwriter (not to mention a liar, since he's said many times that this album is thoughtful and meaningful to him), then why are you on his fan site? Go listen to another band's music and participate in another band's fan site if you really think John is writing disingenuous garbage.

Wow...calm down. This has nothing to do with being disingenuous or dishonest. The music may well be very meaningful. It is about John not writing a good chorus. That is a fact. He may have tried really really hard, but he wasn't able to do it.  And it is perfectly legitimate, as fans, for us to express our disappointment with an album we were eagerly waiting for.

I have now heard the whole album. "Boxes" is the only song with a melody that is deserving of the GGD name, and it is not that great either. The rest makes me think of someone trying to be the GGD and failing.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Wow...calm down. This has nothing to do with being disingenuous or dishonest. The music may well be very meaningful. It is about John not writing a good chorus. That is a fact. He may have tried really really hard, but he wasn't able to do it. 

Actually, your statement is an opinion, not a fact.
"Breaking down the walls in my own mind"-So Alive