Pon

Re: Did John forget how to write a chorus?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 12:16 PM »
It could be a fact because the songs are co-written and sounds very different than songs that was only written by them. Who knows how little or how much was written. So yes, you're right it's an opinion...but an opinion that could be a fact and have very strong reason to back it up.

My opinion is that they're marketing to pop youth demographics. Yes, it's an opinion....but their sound does sound similar to what's popular to the pop youth demographics.

Wow...calm down. This has nothing to do with being disingenuous or dishonest. The music may well be very meaningful. It is about John not writing a good chorus. That is a fact. He may have tried really really hard, but he wasn't able to do it. 

Actually, your statement is an opinion, not a fact.

Bsxae8

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 12:17 PM »
LOL @ people who think it's an objective "fact" that John wrote "bad" choruses on this album.

Every album he's ever put out has had songs with repetitive chorus: There You Are, Cuz You're Gone, Think About Me, etc. Not to mention What a Scene which has two minutes of non stop "na na nanana na" lyrics.

Anyone who thinks John is a bad songwriter must themselves be a pretty song songwriter. Let's see you write and record 11 studio albums of the same caliber. Or even one song.

Like I've said throughout this board, it's one thing to dislike the new music and prefer older Goo, but to literally trash the band crosses the line.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:29 PM by Bsxae8 »

Gen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Anyone who thinks John is a bad songwriter must themselves be a pretty song songwriter. Let's see you write and record 11 studio albums of the same caliber. Or even one song.

Those who can't, criticize those who can.

Pon

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 09:54 PM »
This is the most ridiculous argument I'd ever heard! So because you are not in a profession, you have no right to judge????? Duh, John is a better writer, artist, and business than most of us. That is his job. Our job as consumers is to give our input...bad or good. At the end of the day, it's going to reflect on sales. They have to make a decision to react to inputs and sales.

To say this is like saying Mcdonald's saying "well, let's you see make a better burger". Or when Toyota f*cks up, and you say "well, let's see you make a better car". Next time. when you have discomfort about an product or service you get...tell yourself "let's see you do a better job".

As I said before, I have problem with anybody's opinion..negative or bad. Why? Because it shows that there are a lot of passionate people about their music. The last thing the GGD need are no people criticizing their music because that would mean nobody likes their music. You should be glad that there are criticisms.

Your comment here is very very low in my opinion. Probably lowest comment. Next time before you judge anything, tell yourself if you could do better. Oh, product didn't last beyond the warranty..guess you can't complain since you can't do better. If you want to think like that, then go live your life like that...stop complaining about everything since you can't do better.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:58 PM by LetItGoo »

allan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 10:04 PM »
What has me a little puzzled is the fact that they have moved in a totally different direction to their most successful years. They were successful then for a reason, the music was amazingly good. Why would you move away from what bought you success? Sure you need some change to stay relevant, but totally going pop is in my opinion a much worse commercial decision. I think the band would be more popular if they still leaned a little on their most successful periods.

Pon

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 11:40 PM »
I think that going this route is risky with long time and traditional type fans. However, 18-35 years old are a very lucrative and fun market. If it works, they could have a much larger and longer lasting fan base than the ones they have now. Just looking from business and financial standpoint, it's worth the investment. If I was the Goos, I would do the same...not only that, I would have done it long time ago. The only difference is that I would have 3 tracks on each album that appeal to different eras. I would up the song numbers to 15-16 per album. at least 3 songs with strings, at least 3 aboynamedgoo type songs, etc. I would be a businessman...but I would also be a people's man.

What has me a little puzzled is the fact that they have moved in a totally different direction to their most successful years. They were successful then for a reason, the music was amazingly good. Why would you move away from what bought you success? Sure you need some change to stay relevant, but totally going pop is in my opinion a much worse commercial decision. I think the band would be more popular if they still leaned a little on their most successful periods.

ggdfan25

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 01:32 AM »
I think that going this route is risky with long time and traditional type fans. However, 18-35 years old are a very lucrative and fun market. If it works, they could have a much larger and longer lasting fan base than the ones they have now. Just looking from business and financial standpoint, it's worth the investment. If I was the Goos, I would do the same...not only that, I would have done it long time ago. The only difference is that I would have 3 tracks on each album that appeal to different eras. I would up the song numbers to 15-16 per album. at least 3 songs with strings, at least 3 aboynamedgoo type songs, etc. I would be a businessman...but I would also be a people's man.

Totally agree with all of this... They didn't need to sell out to stay profitable, but in doing so why not please everyone?

BulletproofAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32 AM »

Totally agree with all of this... They didn't need to sell out to stay profitable, but in doing so why not please everyone?

We've addressed the 'sell out' comments previously on this board. Did you miss it? Please pm me if you'd like to discuss further.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:34 AM by caughtinthebreakdown »
"Breaking down the walls in my own mind"-So Alive

Pon

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 12:06 PM »
This is not cool! You're trying to limit us from talking about business because it was mention in another thread? I say let the board be what it is and let it grow. Last thing people need is to be police over the smallest thing and for not doing anything wrong. It only hurts the goo community! I've been on wog/absolute goo since 98ish. So far, I have not seen anything really bad..nothing worth policing. Of course there are going to be negative comments...they got a new album...just let it be..only going to last for a few more weeks. Even if there are duplicate threads..so...keep it moving. Most postings are the same anyways. I've seen boards where they want to keep a topic to one thread..it ended up being old threads from years ago..too much to read.and people get turned off. New threads on the same topics are always better than the same old threads.

Don't get burned by your lucky star!!!!

We've addressed the 'sell out' comments previously on this board. Did you miss it? Please pm me if you'd like to discuss further.

BulletproofAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 12:16 PM »
This is not cool! You're trying to limit us from talking about business because it was mention in another thread? I say let the board be what it is and let it grow. Last thing people need is to be police over the smallest thing and for not doing anything wrong. It only hurts the goo community! I've been on wog/absolute goo since 98ish. So far, I have not seen anything really bad..nothing worth policing. Of course there are going to be negative comments...they got a new album...just let it be..only going to last for a few more weeks. Even if there are duplicate threads..so...keep it moving. Most postings are the same anyways. I've seen boards where they want to keep a topic to one thread..it ended up being old threads from years ago..too much to read.and people get turned off. New threads on the same topics are always better than the same old threads.

Don't get burned by your lucky star!!!!

We have terms and conditions that members agree to when they create an account here. False and defamatory comments about members or the band are not allowed and will not be tolerated, as stated numerous times in the last day or so.

stargirl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 12:39 PM »
If we are all GGD fans here, then why is there so much criticism? The band has been successful ever since "Name". I have been a fan for eighteen years now.  John's lyrics pattern has been the same to me. And I like it.  Each album has a different genre, feel, melodies, and lyrics which is awesome. Overall I like change. Another thing, the guys are not getting any younger. I mean they're in 50s now. No matter what I'll support them. On that note, I am looking forward to BOXES for sure.   
"Keeping my faith for the bad times"

ggdfan25

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 02:48 PM »
I don't understand how it is defamatory to say they've sold out.... It's a pretty openly known fact that they brought in multiple song-writers on this record, and had to re-record much of SFTROU....

How is it defamatory to state facts about what has happened?!

If we can't state an opinion that is negative about the band, I don't get the point of having a board.

"It's not all rainbows and butterflies, its compromise that moves us along" -Train

BulletproofAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 03:18 PM »
I don't understand how it is defamatory to say they've sold out.... It's a pretty openly known fact that they brought in multiple song-writers on this record, and had to re-record much of SFTROU....

How is it defamatory to state facts about what has happened?!

If we can't state an opinion that is negative about the band, I don't get the point of having a board.

"It's not all rainbows and butterflies, its compromise that moves us along" -Train

Bringing in songwriters does not equate to a band 'selling out'. That is a leap you made, it is not stating a fact. You can have an opinion that is negative about the music, but you are confusing that with making defamatory statements about the band that questions their artistic integrity.

Toni

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 07:41 PM »

I happen to be outside of the 18-35 year-old 'market' (by 15 years to be exact), and also consider myself to be a very 'long-time and traditional-type GGD fan'.  I wouldn't consider that because of my 'age' that I am in a 'nonfun' or 'nonlucrative' market.  My iTunes library is quite extensive with different types of music from all genres.  I purchase music that appeals to me, music that moves me emotionally, or just gets me moving; it doesn't matter who sings it or the genre.  Bands age and their music evolves or they become stagnant. The same with their fans, we age and evolve with them, or become stagnant.  Don't put me out to the music pasture just yet..lol

~ Toni
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:43 PM by Toni »
~ I'm not leaving without you, you're the one I can't lose ~

Pon

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 08:49 PM »
Hey Toni

It's not that you're not fun or not lucrative, but the younger crowd are just more fun and more lucrative..and they provide more years of profit. I think that Jay Leno is amazing..but from what I hear..they were pushing him out because they needed somebody that could pull in a younger audience and lock them in. Same with the tobacco companies. They don't care too much about the older people..they want the younger people who will smoke for 30-50 years. I 90% sure that the GGDs and most musicians like to still perform when they're in their 60s+...because that's just what they do. When they're 65, they're not going to fill up the place with other 65 years olds...it's most likely people in their 40s.

I know people hate to hear it..but it's business at the end of the day.

I happen to be outside of the 18-35 year-old 'market' (by 15 years to be exact), and also consider myself to be a very 'long-time and traditional-type GGD fan'.  I wouldn't consider that because of my 'age' that I am in a 'nonfun' or 'nonlucrative' market.  My iTunes library is quite extensive with different types of music from all genres.  I purchase music that appeals to me, music that moves me emotionally, or just gets me moving; it doesn't matter who sings it or the genre.  Bands age and their music evolves or they become stagnant. The same with their fans, we age and evolve with them, or become stagnant.  Don't put me out to the music pasture just yet..lol

~ Toni