Goo Goo Dolls - Absolute Goo

Banner Header

The meaning behind 'Reverse'

Ben

• She asks if I'm a lover.
    • View Profile
The meaning behind 'Reverse'
« on: May 07, 2016, 09:30 AM »
When you listen to Reverse he is talking about rewinding a certain memory when he was drunk:
'Yeah, I was drunk tonight when I thought I caught a glimpse of you'
after that he sings about her 'saving his life' if she stays all night but still not owning his heart and not knowing him the morning after.
'Its A Brilliant distraction from all of this deceit
And I, I think its crazy how we took it way to far'

Is he actually singing about cheating/deceiting?

'
I keep on looking but something's always missing.

Ben

• View Profile
Re: The meaning behind 'Reverse'
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Bump :-X

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 10:41 AM »
 I hope radio picks up this song! Love it!
~ Old enough to know and young enough to live again ~

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 12:15 PM »
I love this song. I s it just me but I hear him singing to me in like every song LOL  Very weird but cool

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 02:07 AM »
When you listen to Reverse he is talking about rewinding a certain memory when he was drunk:
after that he sings about her 'saving his life' if she stays all night but still not owning his heart and not knowing him the morning after.

'

Ben
I'm a words person so I love this question & discussions like this. I love to listen to songs from different angles.

This one I think is about an unhealthy relationship that is kept alive & fueled by alcohol & drama (Your broken glass shines like diamonds in the street. It's a brilliant distraction from this deceit.) The relationship is operating from a place where the 2 people don't really know each other's true self. That's the line where he says "but you don't know me in the morning". It's in a cycle that never really moves forward. The deception is that they aren't coming from a healthy place. "You can save my life tonight" is the desperate call to keep the cycle going.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Bump.

Ben- Curious to hear your thoughts?

Also, what are your thoughts on "Lucky One".....about a relationship or the fan base?

Jonboy414

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 04:00 PM »

'

Ben
I'm a words person so I love this question & discussions like this. I love to listen to songs from different angles.

This one I think is about an unhealthy relationship that is kept alive & fueled by alcohol & drama (Your broken glass shines like diamonds in the street. It's a brilliant distraction from this deceit.) The relationship is operating from a place where the 2 people don't really know each other's true self. That's the line where he says "but you don't know me in the morning". It's in a cycle that never really moves forward. The deception is that they aren't coming from a healthy place. "You can save my life tonight" is the desperate call to keep the cycle going.

Wow, that's what I thought too, except you said it much better than I would. 

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 05:03 PM »
Hey 'Boxes'

Thanks for your responce. I am also a 'word person' and love to chat and think about their lyrics, could do that all night. Your interpretation of Reverse is spot on and makes Reverse a lot more beautiful to me. I too was stuck on reverse once in something like this and your opinion about the song actually made me change mine. I think my view on the lyrics and the meaning was a bit bland but I just couldn't figure out another meaning behind deceit, I think I just immediately thought about cheating. I love that I now have another view on the song to match the actual lyrics. My opinion and your opinion may be true but its also possible none of them are, speculating is fun.

Your idea of them singing about the fanbase on Lucky One could be spot on actually. They're the lucky ones, even if the older fanbase let them go. Something dreams will escape us, but we're not sleeping anymore reflects on hoping to get big and then Iris and Name happened. You climb so high, fall too fast, burn so bright, it just wont last can be about them fighting against their expectations, and having another hit since Home (2010). I dont know how you got to this idea but to me it sounds reasonable and it makes the song more interesting.

What is your opinion about Long Way Home lyrically and musically
(What the hell, lets continue this 'Lyric Breakdown')

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Hey 'Boxes'

Thanks for your responce. I am also a 'word person' and love to chat and think about their lyrics, could do that all night. Your interpretation of Reverse is spot on and makes Reverse a lot more beautiful to me. I too was stuck on reverse once in something like this and your opinion about the song actually made me change mine. I think my view on the lyrics and the meaning was a bit bland but I just couldn't figure out another meaning behind deceit, I think I just immediately thought about cheating. I love that I now have another view on the song to match the actual lyrics. My opinion and your opinion may be true but its also possible none of them are, speculating is fun.

Your idea of them singing about the fanbase on Lucky One could be spot on actually. They're the lucky ones, even if the older fanbase let them go. Something dreams will escape us, but we're not sleeping anymore reflects on hoping to get big and then Iris and Name happened. You climb so high, fall too fast, burn so bright, it just wont last can be about them fighting against their expectations, and having another hit since Home (2010). I dont know how you got to this idea but to me it sounds reasonable and it makes the song more interesting.

What is your opinion about Long Way Home lyrically and musically
(What the hell, lets continue this 'Lyric Breakdown')

Hey Ben,

On "Lucky One", I originally thought it to be about a relationship but there were some lyric that just didn't seem to fit. Then I saw a recent interview with John (don't know which one) and he was talking about the fans and he said "we're the lucky ones". Once I heard that, I went back and listened to the song with new ears and thought that might be it.  Sometimes I listen to it thinking one way (a relationship) and sometimes thinking it's about fans.  What is interesting is many years ago, I had a conversation with an artist where I had two different takes on a song.  She said that's very interesting because the song was actually 2 different songs that she ended up making into one.  So I guess you never know.

Long Way Home - interesting you bring this up.  On my way into work this morning, I had this on repeat. I really like this song because whether you are struggling with alcohol or life, this song is uplifting. I see this song as kind of a higher power or the universe or whatever you call it......giving guidance.  My first listening, I was taking it as the person singing (John) singing to another person but based on his position right now, it more felt like him singing to himself. And if you want to believe that God lives inside of all of us. Then that is what is singing. I know that's kind of deep but that's my MO.  :)

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 07:16 PM »
I've really enjoyed reading this topic. You both have interesting insight on these songs, especially Reverse. That one had me stumped when I first listened to it.

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 08:04 PM »
I also love the lyrics of Long Way Home. At first it sounds a bit general but when you're really listening to it deep and reflect on the words I think deeper meanings will reveal themselfs just like you said. I also think what you feel about Long Way Home for me reflects on 'Souls in the Machine'. Not only being souls, but a small piece of a bigger thing in life. As John stated: We are a part of everything. Think butterfly effect, think  God, karma or destiny, whatever you want to call it. Long Way and Souls have 1 particular thing in common and that is the direct interpetation of us being human. ''We're only human'' - ''Life gets hard, We get brave, Its okay'' Also there is one part in Long Way Home that I really like and that is ''sometimes its frightening, but its amazing''. To me that is so hopefull yet terrifying, same for ''It feels like falling, when you feel you're all in, dont be afraid darling, know that you'll always be brave''. I think that is some really really amazing songwriting right there.

Could talk about it for hours though. I think Long Way and Souls are 2 of the best Goo Goo Dolls songs since Let Love In, and make my personal top 10 for now.

SuzieH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 10:36 PM »
I love all the thoughts about this song, it is my fav at a moment, but what I love most about REVERSE is hearing John hit some really strong, high notes in the chorus. They just sound amazing, to me.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 04:04 AM »
I know this will across as super negative, so I apologise in advance. But as much as I love John's songwriting and lyrics, the fact that this is one of the first songs from the Goos which the chorus in particular makes it almost unlistenable for me, just gives me no motivation to invest in the meaning of the lyrics. Cool description in this thread though, but this one is just not my cup of tea...

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 08:47 AM »
Funny how everyone's tastes are different.  This is one of the songs that is actually starting to grow on me the more I listen to it.  I guess I just like the upbeat tempo

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Funny how everyone's tastes are different.  This is one of the songs that is actually starting to grow on me the more I listen to it.  I guess I just like the upbeat tempo
Me too. When I first heard it I wasn't sure what I thought. But the more I listen to it the more I like it and it gets stuck in my head. It's very catchy.