First Week Album Sales For "Boxes"

· 32 · 6726

djgeneral

• View Profile
First Week Album Sales For "Boxes"
« on: May 09, 2016, 05:08 PM »
Please note these are only estimates based on sales from Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  The final sales will not be released until late this week.

hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=300945

Monday, May 9, 2016

MIDWEEKS: DRAKE, BEY, RADIOHEAD (UPDATE)

Drake will remain #1 on our SPS chart while it appears we may have a three-way race for #1 in sales, as Radiohead, which dropped Sunday, makes an impressive stand. Meanwhile, Drake and Beyoncé add physical product to the mix.

Drake (YMCMB/Republic) 140-160k album, 275-300k SPS
Beyoncé (Columbia) 135-155k, 200-225k SPS
Radiohead (XL) 135-155k, 140-170k
Keith Urban (Capitol Nashville) 85-90k, 90-95k
Cole Swindell (Warner Bros. Nashville) 65-70k, 75-80k
Andy Black (Republic) 17-20k, 18-22k
Goo Goo Dolls (Warner Bros.) 13-15k, 14-17k
Mike Posner (Island) 10-12k, 24-27k
Ritz (Strange Music) 10-12k, 11-14k
James Blake (Republic) 10-12k, 11-14k
Cyndi Lauper (Rhino) 8-10k, 9-12k

ggdfan25

• View Profile
Re: First Week Album Sales For "Boxes"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 08:57 PM »
that is bad, like really really bad

BTighe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:53 PM »
that is bad, like really really bad

For just a few days in 2016? No it's not. Not even close. If I remember right their previous album released on a Tuesday scored between 20,000 and 30,000. This shows a loyal fan base for a band around since the eighties.

ggdfan25

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 10:05 PM »
Those are projections for the entire first week based on the first 3 days... 17,000 of first week sales.... That is horrible....

That means there are 17,000 people who like GGD enough to follow them and buy their record on the first week of its release..... That is hardly a robust fan base.....

Gaslight Anthem blew them away in their first week of sales for their last record (33,000 ).... I've never heard a Gaslight Anthem song on the radio and chances are many people here haven't heard of Gaslight Anthem.....

Does anyone know if Beach Slang sold more in their first week too?

Me & My Arrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 11:05 PM »
That is surprisingly weak, given that "So Alive" seems to be doing well and climbing the charts much faster than "Come to Me" or "Rebel Beat" did. For reference, if that number is accurate, the album wouldn't have made the top 10 last week.

Just checked and "So Alive" only has 150k plays on YouTube vs. more than 7 million for the lead single from the album ahead of them (Andy Black). This is just the reality for the band since SFTROU: put out an album that will sell pretty poorly to a very small core group of fans, have a couple of singles that do okay but never quite take off, and then tour endlessly playing a set list comprised of mostly nostalgic favorites and a selection of the new tracks.

I'm glad they're still making a comfortable living doing following this pattern, but you've got to wonder how long it can last. The last album that really generated a large passionate mainstream following around some of the songs was LLI, and that was a full decade ago now. That's unfortunate when you consider how the band has been following pop trends more and more on the last two albums. Here's to hoping "So Alive" continues to climb and single #2 performs well, but especially here's to hoping the band has more thrilling music in them outside of this system.

nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 11:27 PM »

Beach Slang peaked at #97 on the Billboard 200.

The GGDs desperately need a complete overhaul in their promo, their image, their attitudes, their record label (who didn't even give them an updated bio for this album?!) and their staff to succeed but let's not get crazy here.  They're going to debut well above #97 even with pretty terrible sales.

Me & My Arrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 12:23 AM »

Beach Slang peaked at #97 on the Billboard 200.

The GGDs desperately need a complete overhaul in their promo, their image, their attitudes, their record label (who didn't even give them an updated bio for this album?!) and their staff to succeed but let's not get crazy here.  They're going to debut well above #97 even with pretty terrible sales.

nmf! Welcome back! I thought you had long since abandoned the board. Couldn't put it better myself, and it's a bummer.

jordhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 07:23 AM »
It's just a case of diminishing returns for artist and consumer. I personally find songs within Boxes that I like, however it's coming off the back of a lukewarm album that's lead off single was really unpopular. I imagine casual listeners who brought records off the back of stuff like stay with you and here is gone have moved on, because they're not that band anymore.

As much as Spotify and online streaming plays a part, rock bands still do sell tons of records. But the last proper rock single goo goo dolls released was stay with you, I don't know who they're tapping into atm

Ben

• She asks if I'm a lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:19 AM »
So.. this band is most definitely dead after Boxes or what?  Damn you guys make me worried. :(
I keep on looking but something's always missing.

Leo Dalton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I doubt it, Robby's always said they'd go on as long as people were still willing to go and watch them live.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that 'Boxes' was the final album the band were contracted to release under Warner Brothers (correct me if I'm wrong) so they could go a number of ways after this:

- Sign a new contract with Warner
- Sign with a new record label
- Release music independently
- Become a 'touring' band that doesn't release new music

Of course, they could pack it in altogether, they're both in the 50's and Johnny wants a family, so who knows?

Bsxae8

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 10:38 AM »
LOL so now we're writing the band's obituary because they've sold 15k albums in three days?

Have some faith in the band, guys.

Me & My Arrow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:59 PM »
LOL so now we're writing the band's obituary because they've sold 15k eyalbums in three days?

Have some faith in the band, guys.

No one's said anything that extreme, and this isn't like rooting for sports team -- "having faith" doesn't really apply. People are just acknowledging the band's continually decreasing popularity. Of course, landing a top 10 album is still an impressive feat, indicative of all the loyal fans and goodwill they've accumulated over the years, but the evidence is clear that with each of the last 3 albums the band has failed to generate meaningful momentum in the mainstream.

I still think one of the singles from Boxes could break out (I'd personally say "Flood," "Souls in the Machine," or, even though I hate it, "Lucky One" would have a shot), but it's fun to wonder what would happen if the band quit the pop pursuits and tried making another rock album. Who knows, maybe that would struggle as well. I do hope one day Johnny starts his interview circuit for a new album by saying something about how they "tried a lot of new things over the past few albums" and felt like it was time to "get back to the basics" or their "roots" or whatever, ditch the flashy pop production, and focus on just creating solid songs. The way he describes it, it sounds like Johnny doesn't really sit down with a guitar on his own to write songs anymore, and I have to imagine he could still make something amazing that way if he tried.

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Don't you think if they wanted to make a rock album they would made it by now?  I just think they're not into that anymore. Another Dizzy or Carwash would be boring to be honest.  Sure I like a edge but I enjoy the progress. For me they don't follow a pop trend because if you watch their interviews since magnetic its really all about exploring and evolving, reinventing. If that's pop so be it. But still I want them to be successful. And I actually think Warner Bros is doing a great promotion. They're literally everywhere giving little shows and interviews and I think they're stronger as ever on the social media promotion.

Me & My Arrow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 05:08 PM »
Don't you think if they wanted to make a rock album they would made it by now?  I just think they're not into that anymore. Another Dizzy or Carwash would be boring to be honest.  Sure I like a edge but I enjoy the progress. For me they don't follow a pop trend because if you watch their interviews since magnetic its really all about exploring and evolving, reinventing. If that's pop so be it. But still I want them to be successful. And I actually think Warner Bros is doing a great promotion. They're literally everywhere giving little shows and interviews and I think they're stronger as ever on the social media promotion.

Absolutely! I don't think the situation I described is at all likely. And again, I'm not saying I'd be happy if they just remade DUTG or SCCW or whatever (although I'd be curious to hear what that sounded like), my point was more that it would be interesting to hear what happened if Johnny returned to songwriting on his own, without producers and potentially with less major label pressure. I'd also guess that the outcome of that happening would fall more under the general "rock" category -- there are infinite directions that a "rock" album could head and it wouldn't necessarily sound like old GGD-style rock (though with Johnny writing, chances are there would be similarities, just like there are with the new poppier albums).

And WB always does an ok job getting them on radio interviews and that sort of thing, but they could do that in their sleep at this point. The band would need a much, much bigger push at this point to break out again, which WB won't give them because they won't sell enough to justify it. Their social media has improved, sure, but when your lead single is dropped on YouTube with minimal fanfare and the first major TV performance and accompanying music video arrive more than a month later, you're not investing a lot in making sure it succeeds.

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 05:28 PM »

Absolutely! I don't think the situation I described is at all likely. And again, I'm not saying I'd be happy if they just remade DUTG or SCCW or whatever (although I'd be curious to hear what that sounded like), my point was more that it would be interesting to hear what happened if Johnny returned to songwriting on his own, without producers and potentially with less major label pressure. I'd also guess that the outcome of that happening would fall more under the general "rock" category -- there are infinite directions that a "rock" album could head and it wouldn't necessarily sound like old GGD-style rock (though with Johnny writing, chances are there would be similarities, just like there are with the new poppier albums).

And WB always does an ok job getting them on radio interviews and that sort of thing, but they could do that in their sleep at this point. The band would need a much, much bigger push at this point to break out again, which WB won't give them because they won't sell enough to justify it. Their social media has improved, sure, but when your lead single is dropped on YouTube with minimal fanfare and the first major TV performance and accompanying music video arrive more than a month later, you're not investing a lot in making sure it succeeds.

What kind of push do you think they need?
I can understand your curiousity about Johnny writing on his own again but isn't that what resulted in for example Let Love In and most recently Something for the Rest of Us? Those days aren't far behind us and when people say they've repetitive choruses on Boxes I always think of Hey Ya, (Hey ya, Hey ya..) Sweetest Lie (Oh oh oh living the Sweetest Lie x2) As I Am which has a very repetitive song structure, same as One Night. Talking about repetitive is Nothing is Real.

My point is that Johnny always was a bit repetitive in some ways and I actually like him experimenting with songwriters because for me personally it became a 'guarantee' how he was writing and what kind of structures he used. I dont say thats any different now but we're hearing different things from him which I really appreciate. I think people need to let go of the idea of Johnny getting pushed into directions. He pointed out pretty obviously how he was intrigued by new sorts of music and the lyrical/musical progress of that. I highly doubt Warner Bros gave him some EDM records to listen to. You can like it or hate it but I think all the contect on Boxes is 100% (sober and grownup) Johnny.

But im carried away, sorry haha. Dont by any instance think im attacking you. English isn't my native language so sometimes I dont see where things can get a bit personal! Im all about your opinion as well but I learned to appreciate the new direction of music. As for the sales, I really hope they'll improve.