Miracle Pill Album Review

· 8 · 587

Ozgoo

• View Profile
Miracle Pill Album Review
« on: September 12, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Hi, being from Australia I got an early listen to the album and here are my thoughts track by track, overall I like how much they have experimented with this record, however there are some pretty average tracks, overall  7/10 slightly disappointed I don't think it's as strong as boxes but hey this is just one person's opinion

1. Indestructible- Really solid song and should have been the first single in my opinion. 8/10
2. Fearless- One of my favourite songs from the album, has a real imagine dragons feel to it, powerful chorus and would do well as a single 8.5/10
3. Miracle Pill- Less I say about this the better, just don't dig this song at all. 5/10
4. Money, Fame & Fortune - Love Johnnys voice in this, I really like this song I know it may be too synthy for some but lyrically it's strong. 8/10
5. Step In Line - It may be an unpopular view from others but I don't know why Robby still sings on albums in 2019, just my opinion. This is not a bad track and Robbys best on the album. 6/10
6. Over You - Starts off strongly and Johnny sounds great however I just can't get into the chorus, I'm sure plenty will really like this song as it's a bit of a different sound. 5.5/10.
7. Lights - Pretty cliche and disappointing to be honest, standard chorus we have heard before, feels like a real album filler. 5/10
8. Lost - Definite improvement I really like the different sound to this with a great sweeping chorus, just what the album needed after a few flat songs. 8/10
9. Life's a Message - Again would prefer a Johnny song, not bad but not good either pretty standard. 5/10
10. Autumn Leaves- Biggest surprise and very different to any song they have released in recent years.. I love this song with fearless this is my favourite I'm so glad they did something a bit different.. think mumford and sons. 9/10
11. Think It Over - Fairy solid finish to the album however one of those so be I feel in have heard in past albums, lyrically strong but as I said feels as if I've heard this chorus before. 7/10.

jordhunter

• View Profile
Re: Miracle Pill Album Review
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 01:11 AM »
Spent most of last night listening to it (I'm from the UK).

Best album since Gutterflower in my opinion!

1. Indestructible - I just cannot dig those "woooahhhh oooohhhhh" choruses. But everything else is good, I especially like the strokes of guitar before the chorus 6.5/10

2. Fearless - I love the way  this sounds. Very modern and great energy. Unbelievably catchy and added sweetness knowing its about his daughter 8/10

3. Miracle Pill - I think its John's worst song on the record. A poor choice for lead single.  Lack of bite for me and that's probably because the piano is the most prominent instrument 4/10

4. Money Fame & Fortune - The best single so far. Love the powerful organ behind the synth. Fleetwood Mac vibes in the casual and catchy way this flows 7/10

5. Step In Line - Huge Robby fan but it was a struggle to not skip this which I did a lot 3/10

6. Over You - I love the late night music in the background bar-stool feel this has! 7/10

7. Lights - Another solid track, lyrically reminds me of a Script song. I like how the (electronic) percussion is very upbeat in juxtaposition to the sombre way John sings 7/10

8. Lost - I see a lot of similarities with other leading radio pop/rock acts with this one, but I still like it. Designed to be played loud on ya radio 7/10

9. Life's a Message - Another misfire. Laughing is a top 5 GGD song of all time for me. Would have to go all the way back to Let Love In to find a Robby track I dig though... Really don't like the lyrics and his voice only suits distorted guitars 3/10

10. Autumn Leaves - Hugely different. Need to listen to it more... Love how it paints such strong imagery in your head through the lyrics and mention of seasons... John stretching his vocals to 10/10 here.... 8/10 for now

11. Think it Over - Banger. The most old school sounding Goo track on here. Absolutely lovely, and for me, reaches back further to their old sound more than any song since the early noughties 8.5/10

So early reaction? It's great. Well done John, you've created something very special here

Ozgoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 05:19 AM »
Great review jordhunter really enjoyed your positive review. After a few more listens I have a few more discussion points.
- Fearless should be the next single in my opinion it's definitely my fav track.
- Miracle Pill might be the worst ever lead single they have released.
- Robbys songs either need to evolve or just let the band do what they are best at.. let Johnny sing all the songs.
- Think it Over has definitely grown on me, a strong finish to the album.
- Songs like Autumn Leaves and Over You show they are still evolving their sound and trying new things so deep into their career and credit to them for that.

In my opinion stronger than magnetic and SFTROU but just behind boxes.

jordhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Great review jordhunter really enjoyed your positive review. After a few more listens I have a few more discussion points.
- Fearless should be the next single in my opinion it's definitely my fav track.
- Miracle Pill might be the worst ever lead single they have released.
- Robbys songs either need to evolve or just let the band do what they are best at.. let Johnny sing all the songs.
- Think it Over has definitely grown on me, a strong finish to the album.
- Songs like Autumn Leaves and Over You show they are still evolving their sound and trying new things so deep into their career and credit to them for that.

In my opinion stronger than magnetic and SFTROU but just behind boxes.

Yeah definitely Fearless seems the obvious one.

I see where you’re coming from with Miracle Pill. Seems a slightly bizarre choice as 1st single now in context of the whole record.... and as good as Money Fame/fortune is, is that really a single??

Still, for me, Rebel Beat is their worst ever single!

The Robby thing is strange, because up until SFTROU he was the guy you could rely on to bring the rock. But you could argue his songs on MP are even more experimental than John’s... for the first time as a fan I think it’s a shame his 2 spots on the record took away spaces for an in-form John

I do like Boxes! Maybe time will have then neck and neck for me. Unquestionably Miracle Pill is better than Magnetic and SFTROU though. And it’s more fun than LLI.

jordhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 07:18 AM »
Felt compelled to add my thoughts once more now the album has settled on me considerably more. Definitely still stand by my statement this is their best record since Gutterflower! Feels so great to say that because I've been posting on these boards since Let Love In (probably before with the amount of forum changes) and I've never lavished a new release with praise... that's over 13 years of posting mixed/disappointing reviews of their new music... until now. I think I love this record.

1. Indestructible - This one has had weeks in my ears and my feelings are consistent. Pretty strong throughout until the chorus comes in, then it gets a bit meh 6/10
2. Fearless -  This sounds great turned up. I think its really sweet John wrote this about his child as well, sorta punches you in the feels 8/10
3. Miracle Pill - I can embrace a more pop element but this song needs more grit and distortion. Missed opportunity 4.5/10
4. Money Fame & Fortune - Such a sick vibe. I do like this. I dig that the person is the money, fame & fortune; some slick social commentary there 7/10
5. Step In Line - Sorry Robby, you're a beast of a rocker but this isn't it 3/10
6. Over You - So earnest and helps make this record so diverse, a bit of a tonic if you're not into the electronic 7/10
7. Lights - This has grown more on me. Sounds like The Script but the drumming is more inventive; very emotive. Love it 7.5/10
8. Lost - Not as strong as Lights and has a familiarity to it from other bands, but undeniably catchy and I do dig it 7/10
9. Life's a Message - A bit better than Step in Line. But yeah I don't rate this, particularly the lyrics 4/10
10. Autumn Leaves - I love the lyrics. You could pop this on the soundtrack of Into The Wild next to Eddie Vedder and it would seem seamless; another tune which really showcases how much range this record has got 8/10
11. Think it Over - Absolutely rocks. Would slot into Dizzy or Gutterflower in terms of tempo, decibels and creativity. Strangely, for some reason, the gospel singers take me all the way back to 1990 Hold Me Up when they involved Lance Diamond - i think that's amazing 8.5/10

Overall - 8/10 - Probably ranks as their 6th best album overall for me

Googie*

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 09:10 AM »
So, I’ll give my review in a little bit, but I must say that the tracklisting order does NOT make sense.

Listen to the album all the way through in this order and I guarantee it’ll feel more cohesive as an album:

1. Autumn Leaves
2. Think It Over
3. Over You
4. Lost
5. Step in Line
6. Fearless
7. Miracle Pill
8. Money, Fortune, and Fame
9. Life’s a Message
10. Indestructible
11. Lights

Ben

• She asks if I'm a lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 06:13 PM »
I've been listening to the album for the last couple of days now. Everyone was reviewing it so I think it's fair to share my opinion on it as well!

1. Indestructible - A very summery vibe goes through this song. It has the same immersive rythm as songs like The Pin or Souls In The Machine. It feels like Johnny really loves to play this on the guitar. Credits to the lovely little guitar part at the ending. A great album opener and a welcome heavier sound then we're used to nowadays. Minor detail is the chorus, could've been more original (Use Me?) 7/10

2. Fearless -  Without the chorus this song is nothing at all. The verses are just too bland, and sorry but those lyrics... he didn't really put effort in this at all. I had high hopes on this song, the studio updates suggested this would be a more heavier song. The verses with a guitar would have been way better. Chorus is simpel but catchy 5.5/10

3. Miracle Pill - Could've had a bit more grit, but I like the groove of this song. Again, a guitar would have been better than the leading piano, but hey it's a great tune overall. Still thinking it isn't the best single of the album. 6.5/10

4. Money Fame & Fortune - This is everything I want from the Goo Goo Dolls: own sound mixed with other influences. It's just SO original and groovy. Hands down one of their best songs ever. Love the backing vocals and the echo in John's voice. 10/10.

5. Step In Line - Robby's song on Boxes were absolutely awful to me. This song is so fresh and catchy, I really like the new more piano driven sound in this, the man is experimentating and it shows! 7/10

6. Over You - Classic John, but still really original and heartfelt. Could've had more depth lyric wise but hey, overall a great little song.  7/10

7. Lights - This is Goo Goo Dolls 2010 - now. Catchy, Genuine, Poppy, Hard when it needs to be, lovely guitar. One of the best songs they've put out since the 10's. This could've been a Something For The Rest Of Us type of song. I hope this will be the new single.  8/10

8. Lost - Epic, bombastic, Great tune. Chorus without the backing would be cooler but okay. Love how the verses and chorus is so different. Again a diverse tune. 7/10

9. Life's a Message - God I love the intro, the synth's and soundbits in it. Everything on this song fits Robby like a glove. 7/10

10. Autumn Leaves - I cried.  10/10

11. Think it Over - Reminds me of Lance Diamond (the choir). Could easy fit in Gutterflower. A guitar solo would be cool, but this is everything a 'Superstar Carwash fanboy' could wish for nowadays. 9/10

Summary: A great diverse album. It got its weaker songs (Fearless, Miracle Pill) but thats okay. Songs like Lights, Lost, Over You, Think It Over and especially Money Fame & Fortune rekindles my love for this band. They have explored new waters, and for the first time since Magnetic I can honestly say: This is Goo Goo Dolls, 100%. Magnetic was great but they were not yet 'there' - Boxes was a turn in that direction as well but more sophisticated, well thought and put together. Miracle Pill is the next chapter, and I've seen reviews: a lot of people love this, the single is doing great. We can be proud. For me this is out there with their best albums (Gutterflower - Magnetic, Dizzy Up The Girl - ...)
8/10.
I keep on looking but something's always missing.

dm08

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 09:30 AM »
It's interesting to read others' takes on the new album.  Here are some of top-of-the-head thoughts after listening to the album a few times.

1.  Indestructible is a great song.  Maybe my favorite.

2.  Money, Fame & Fortune is a monster song.  Really digging it.

3.  Lights is growing on me.  (It reminds me of a family here in Minnesota that lost a young son to a kidnapping and murder.  They left their front porch light on for years, just in case he found his way home.)  This song made me tear up.

4.  Autumn Leaves.  John dug really deep in the vocals.  It's been a long, long time since I've heard him like this.  This song also made me tear up.

Overall, I'm not sure if I like Miracle Pill better than Boxes.  After a few more listens, I might.  I'm going to see them on tour twice in November and I can't wait to hear some of the new material live!