Ben

Re: Thoughts on the EP?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I wonder how "Use Me" will be live.  The chorus is Ah Ah Ah instead of words.  Johnny can't be singing it a lot I don't think.   Plus, guitar is not strong in the song and Johnny loves to have a guitar in his hands.

Use Me is a song driven my guitar. Almost every part of this song is guided by a acoustic guitar. Songs who aren't based on guitar rythm (Lucky One, Reverse) are performed live. John even performs 'Slow it Down' without guitar. And about that 'ah ah' chorus, So Alive and Sweetest Lie both have a similar chorus and they have played that tons of times, so dont worry!

Jdt827

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I'm going to mention this again, there is guitar through this entire song. From the first verse to the last. Granted, the heavy drum and bass take more notice than the guitar, the acoustic guitar is still carrying the song all the way through. I can't believe no one can hear it.

jordhunter

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 02:50 PM »
1. Tattered Edge - I like how high-tempo it is. The drums and bass sound awesome. I don't think the chorus offers much though. Feel like it kinda traps John into singing some really worn out lyrics over the top of it. Good swing at the bat though and the best song on the EP 3/5

2. Use Me - Bit too Edd Sheeren for my taste. Heard it all before albeit the Goo Goo Dolls have a better voice. Will fade fast in my ears 2/5

3. 30k Feet - Use to turn to Robby for the old Goo Goo Dolls spirit, but this is very middle of the road. Nowhere near as exciting as say, Listen, from Let Love In. 2/5

4. Walk Away - I like it. Kinda got a bar song feel to it. I have no idea who the fuck phillip phillips is so that doesn't wash with me, but this sounds decent. 3/5

5. Boxes Remix - A good song dying in a tar pit trying to break free. Knew they went through a lot of versions for this for the record. I'd say the Boxes version is better. 2/5

Verdict: The Pin is the best song they've done since Let Love In, stick that on repeat!

Me Again

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Go ahead and listen to their older albums, have a good time, and if you want to talk to fellow fans about it, feel free to post here and we'll have some fun in the discussion.

I would suggest anyone who wants to engage in that kind of behavior to please take it elsewhere.

Soooo....

Which is it?
Do we have your permission to post here or are you telling us to leave????

Jdt827

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34 PM »
I'm jumping in on this - not to gang up but to the person who doesn't like the EP or the "new sound", you should have figured that out 3 albums ago. The band has evolved and I absolutely love what they are putting out. I do believe that people naturally get softer over time. I used to listen to A Boy Named Goo and Gutterflower on repeat but as music evolves including the tools and techniques that are introduced with new technology, bands want to make something new. The Goo Goo Dolls have historically had extremely different albums. There first two are garage metal, while Hold Me Up is punk rock. SSCW are all power pop songs in every sense of the term minus a couple alternative tracks. ABNG is 100% an alt rock album. And they evolved into pop rock and stayed there. If anything, they are more consistent now than ever. Tattered Edge is a classic Goo track and the politically fused message BRINGS ME BACK to Flat Top, not away from it. I don't care what you say - Use Me rocks (and so does So Alive) and it could comfortably fit in between Here Is Gone and What A Scene on Gutterflower and sound as natural as ever. I actually play guitar and when I first heard Use Me, my first thought was, "damn I wish I could write like this".

Boxes is a phenomenal album in my opinion and I find myself listening to their recent work far more than the older stuff, maybe it's because I'm not 18 anymore but who cares. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion but the other guys are absolutely on point in saying it sounds like bashing. If you don't like the sound, then you have been on the wrong train for a while now. This isn't new.

I did figure out many of the these things "three albums ago," and have been discussing them here throughout the years. When LLI came out, I was bummed out by the lackluster production but appreciated the more upbeat tone after Gutterflower. When SFTROU came out, I was concerned by the story of the band rewriting the album at the label's request, and thought it was pretty bland as a whole but still contained a few bits of truly great music that I loved. When Magnetic came out, I was excited and made optimistic by the band's renewed energy, but worried by the infiltration of pop trends that felt forced in by influential producers. When Boxes came out, I saw that my optimism didn't pay off, as the band relied even more on the sounds and styles of other popular artists. And this new EP confirms that, for now at least, the band's going to stick with that approach.

I'd agree that they're fairly consistent now, in some ways: lyrical themes, general emphasis of pop over rock, Johnny's vocal styling, etc. But in many ways, they've made a clear progression over the last few albums, and it's only Boxes and the new EP that have sounded so blatantly like other bands that aren't the GGD. "Use Me" would absolutely not fit on Gutterflower, in my opinion, in part because of the genre but mostly because there's nothing distinct about it -- change the vocals and it's a Train song. When people bring up the band's old music, they're not talking about the genre; they're talking about the unique qualities that made it stand out in the pop landscape, even when it was at the top of the charts.

All of which is to say, I'm well aware of how the band has developed, have found things to love and dislike on all their albums (until Boxes and this EP, really), and don't have any of the unfair expectations you attributed to me in your post. My tastes have changed even more than the band has over the years, and all I hope for is to enjoy their new music, whatever sounds like.  I don't feel their two most recent releases are good -- they're too anonymous and they lamely follow in the footsteps of recent pop successes (who I think write in those styles better than Johnny does, honestly). You and others disagreeing doesn't mean I'm bashing the band. It's just fair, thought-through criticism.

If you're interested, people talked on here about a similar topic when Boxes came out: http://absolutegoo.com/forum/index.php?topic=261.msg437#msg437

I feel like I'm the only one here who understands this person was giving an honest critique. I don't agree with every point made, but they gave an actual review of the EP. I like Walk Away, and I like Use Me, perhaps because they have an emotional connection for me, but the others sort of fall flat. Apart from that, I don't have an objective review to give.

I don't agree with every sentiment from Me & My Arrow, but I can see the effort made in your review of the songs instead of each person's opinion.

People too often react as if not liking/being disappointed with the band's music is equivalent to mindlessly bashing them or desperately wishing they'd sound like the old days. If anything, I'm probably more likely than anyone I know to be inclined to like something the band puts out, so hoping the next release hits me the right way!
I don't think you're bashing them because you don't like the EP. I think you're bashing them because you're bitching about who they are and the style they've adopted. You're not only saying you don't like the music but you're also questioning their credibility and they are "following trends". They followed trends from the very beginning. They followed trends when their first pop song, Name, was a massive hit. They followed trends when Slide (the biggest POP song they've written to date) and Iris proved to be successful. They did it again without Here Is Gone and it's continued since then. They've been pop rock since Dizzy and they still are. But after 20 years, it's time to try new things. It's not just you that annoys me and it's not a bad review that annoys me. It's why you don't like it. The same complaints album after album so frankly, I don't understand why you're even a fan because I don't think the music is ever going to please you.

Me amp; My Arrow

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 10:15 PM »
I'm jumping in on this - not to gang up but to the person who doesn't like the EP or the "new sound", you should have figured that out 3 albums ago. The band has evolved and I absolutely love what they are putting out. I do believe that people naturally get softer over time. I used to listen to A Boy Named Goo and Gutterflower on repeat but as music evolves including the tools and techniques that are introduced with new technology, bands want to make something new. The Goo Goo Dolls have historically had extremely different albums. There first two are garage metal, while Hold Me Up is punk rock. SSCW are all power pop songs in every sense of the term minus a couple alternative tracks. ABNG is 100% an alt rock album. And they evolved into pop rock and stayed there. If anything, they are more consistent now than ever. Tattered Edge is a classic Goo track and the politically fused message BRINGS ME BACK to Flat Top, not away from it. I don't care what you say - Use Me rocks (and so does So Alive) and it could comfortably fit in between Here Is Gone and What A Scene on Gutterflower and sound as natural as ever. I actually play guitar and when I first heard Use Me, my first thought was, "damn I wish I could write like this".

Boxes is a phenomenal album in my opinion and I find myself listening to their recent work far more than the older stuff, maybe it's because I'm not 18 anymore but who cares. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion but the other guys are absolutely on point in saying it sounds like bashing. If you don't like the sound, then you have been on the wrong train for a while now. This isn't new.

I did figure out many of the these things "three albums ago," and have been discussing them here throughout the years. When LLI came out, I was bummed out by the lackluster production but appreciated the more upbeat tone after Gutterflower. When SFTROU came out, I was concerned by the story of the band rewriting the album at the label's request, and thought it was pretty bland as a whole but still contained a few bits of truly great music that I loved. When Magnetic came out, I was excited and made optimistic by the band's renewed energy, but worried by the infiltration of pop trends that felt forced in by influential producers. When Boxes came out, I saw that my optimism didn't pay off, as the band relied even more on the sounds and styles of other popular artists. And this new EP confirms that, for now at least, the band's going to stick with that approach.

I'd agree that they're fairly consistent now, in some ways: lyrical themes, general emphasis of pop over rock, Johnny's vocal styling, etc. But in many ways, they've made a clear progression over the last few albums, and it's only Boxes and the new EP that have sounded so blatantly like other bands that aren't the GGD. "Use Me" would absolutely not fit on Gutterflower, in my opinion, in part because of the genre but mostly because there's nothing distinct about it -- change the vocals and it's a Train song. When people bring up the band's old music, they're not talking about the genre; they're talking about the unique qualities that made it stand out in the pop landscape, even when it was at the top of the charts.

All of which is to say, I'm well aware of how the band has developed, have found things to love and dislike on all their albums (until Boxes and this EP, really), and don't have any of the unfair expectations you attributed to me in your post. My tastes have changed even more than the band has over the years, and all I hope for is to enjoy their new music, whatever sounds like.  I don't feel their two most recent releases are good -- they're too anonymous and they lamely follow in the footsteps of recent pop successes (who I think write in those styles better than Johnny does, honestly). You and others disagreeing doesn't mean I'm bashing the band. It's just fair, thought-through criticism.

If you're interested, people talked on here about a similar topic when Boxes came out: http://absolutegoo.com/forum/index.php?topic=261.msg437#msg437

I feel like I'm the only one here who understands this person was giving an honest critique. I don't agree with every point made, but they gave an actual review of the EP. I like Walk Away, and I like Use Me, perhaps because they have an emotional connection for me, but the others sort of fall flat. Apart from that, I don't have an objective review to give.

I don't agree with every sentiment from Me & My Arrow, but I can see the effort made in your review of the songs instead of each person's opinion.

People too often react as if not liking/being disappointed with the band's music is equivalent to mindlessly bashing them or desperately wishing they'd sound like the old days. If anything, I'm probably more likely than anyone I know to be inclined to like something the band puts out, so hoping the next release hits me the right way!
I don't think you're bashing them because you don't like the EP. I think you're bashing them because you're bitching about who they are and the style they've adopted. You're not only saying you don't like the music but you're also questioning their credibility and they are "following trends". They followed trends from the very beginning. They followed trends when their first pop song, Name, was a massive hit. They followed trends when Slide (the biggest POP song they've written to date) and Iris proved to be successful. They did it again without Here Is Gone and it's continued since then. They've been pop rock since Dizzy and they still are. But after 20 years, it's time to try new things. It's not just you that annoys me and it's not a bad review that annoys me. It's why you don't like it. The same complaints album after album so frankly, I don't understand why you're even a fan because I don't think the music is ever going to please you.

Your insistence that I'm "bitching" doesn't make it so. Again, I provided several reasonable explanations for why I was underwhelmed by the new EP, and I also provided several reasons why I think the band has changed, what it means for the music (in my opinion), and what I hope might change in the future. You may disagree with them, but you are throwing out straw men rather than simply disagreeing or providing alternative perspective. "They've been pop rock since Dizzy": I know this, obviously, and didn't imply anything bad about pop rock as a style in anything I wrote. "They followed trends from the beginning": Nothing I said implied they haven't followed trends before -- I only specifically noted that they currently are following trends in a way and to a degree that I feel their unique aspects as a band are losing out to the generic qualities of the music they're imitating, and that they're not as distinct or powerful as a band in these new styles, in my opinion.

And I already responded to "I don't know why you're even a fan." It's a ridiculous line of argument and thing to question. They've been my favorite band my whole life (starting with DUTG -- I'm not even an honest-to-goodness, hardcore cred, from-the-beginning fan!), and with that amount of love of course I'm going to keep checking out their new music, hoping it's good, and perhaps discussing my feelings with other fans in the same place we have done so for years. And as I said, over time that participation may wane, if most of their recent output doesn't do much for me. But in the meantime, I'll keep on sharing my thoughts with people that want to have nuanced discussion about the band, their music, and their history, and not worry too much about people misconstruing genuine interest and analysis for "bashing" and "bitching."

Jdt827

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 10:31 PM »
You don't have to keep defending yourself to me. Many people are providing underwhelming reviews that the rest of us respect and understand. Like I already stated (and you've failed to defend) is the fact that your "review" is the done-to-death whining that they've changed. I wasn't the first person to read it and roll my eyes and I certainly won't be the last. I'm not judging you for not liking it. But the reality is everyone else is tired of hearing "they've changed" and "I don't like their new sound" it really gets old and it's all been heard many times with every single album since LLI. Everything I pointed out in your post was to support the bottom line: your review comes of as whining. You can remain pretentious that's it's some well written analysis or whatever you think it is but it's whining over what was and isn't anymore and that's what people are sick of hearing. Good day.

Me Again

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 10:55 PM »
You don't have to keep defending yourself to me. Many people are providing underwhelming reviews that the rest of us respect and understand. Like I already stated (and you've failed to defend) is the fact that your "review" is the done-to-death whining that they've changed. I wasn't the first person to read it and roll my eyes and I certainly won't be the last. I'm not judging you for not liking it. But the reality is everyone else is tired of hearing "they've changed" and "I don't like their new sound" it really gets old and it's all been heard many times with every single album since LLI. Everything I pointed out in your post was to support the bottom line: your review comes of as whining. You can remain pretentious that's it's some well written analysis or whatever you think it is but it's whining over what was and isn't anymore and that's what people are sick of hearing. Good day.

I'm confused.

If you "roll your eyes" when you read a post by Me & My Arrow, why do you bother reading what he (or she) writes?

As far as people being sick of hearing what it is Me & My Arrow has to say, I surely hope you aren't collectively putting ALL of us into that category, because I certainly do not feel the way you do.

I've been reading posts on this site by Me & My Arrow for over a decade.  I've always enjoyed them - whether I've agreed or disagreed with the opinion stated.

manda90

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 11:00 PM »

I'm confused.

If you "roll your eyes" when you read a post by Me & My Arrow, why do you bother reading what he (or she) writes?

As far as people being sick of hearing what it is Me & My Arrow has to say, I surely hope you aren't collectively putting ALL of us into that category, because I certainly do not feel the way you do.

I've been reading posts on this site by Me & My Arrow for over a decade.  I've always enjoyed them - whether I've agreed or disagreed with the opinion stated.

I haven't been around the boards nearly as long but I too have always enjoyed Me & My Arrow's posts.

Jdt827

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 11:15 PM »

I'm confused.

I have three points to make to you and I'm going to make them short.

1. You can't know what what something states until after you've read it - not before. Try to understand that.

2. Not once did I imply that ALL people are sick of hearing whining about the changing sound. I said people, not all people. Again, I'm not the first person to take issue with the review. I won't be the last.

3. Other posts have no relevance to this topic. How long you've all been on this site has no relevance to this topic. You're jumping in to argue for the sake of arguing. Let it go. 

Jdt827

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 11:25 PM »
1. Tattered Edge - I like how high-tempo it is. The drums and bass sound awesome. I don't think the chorus offers much though. Feel like it kinda traps John into singing some really worn out lyrics over the top of it. Good swing at the bat though and the best song on the EP 3/5

2. Use Me - Bit too Edd Sheeren for my taste. Heard it all before albeit the Goo Goo Dolls have a better voice. Will fade fast in my ears 2/5

3. 30k Feet - Use to turn to Robby for the old Goo Goo Dolls spirit, but this is very middle of the road. Nowhere near as exciting as say, Listen, from Let Love In. 2/5

4. Walk Away - I like it. Kinda got a bar song feel to it. I have no idea who the fuck phillip phillips is so that doesn't wash with me, but this sounds decent. 3/5

5. Boxes Remix - A good song dying in a tar pit trying to break free. Knew they went through a lot of versions for this for the record. I'd say the Boxes version is better. 2/5

Verdict: The Pin is the best song they've done since Let Love In, stick that on repeat!

This is a great example of a bad/mixed review that's honest, respectful, and respectable. I appreciate the way you reviewed each song for what they are instead of comparing them to older stuff or questioning the bands credibility.

Me amp; My Arrow

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 11:26 PM »

So your argument is that you think my review sounds like whining. I actually think that's not totally unfair, given how negative I was -- the extremely small number of people that post on this board are bound to have a lot of passion in their feelings about new GGD music. But again, harsh does not equal whining. I'm not being pretentious, and I haven't claimed to have offered "well-written analysis." I only said that, at the very least, I was reasonably presenting my thoughts without making personal attacks on the band, like you and some others have implied. I'm sorry you feel that bringing up some criticisms that have been discussed before, in light of new music being released, is just so unbearable, but it looks like others don't necessarily feel the same way, so maybe just leave us to it and you'll be happier? While I appreciate those saying they enjoy chatting with me, I agree with you that our history on the board doesn't make anyone's opinion more valid -- it just means multiple groups of people can have multiple conversations on here and we'll all be ok.

I've had some great, in-depth conversations about the band on here over the years, with a range of positive and negative opinions (e.g., I was one of the Magnetic defenders, sort of, believe it or not!), and hopefully will continue to. I'm psyched about whatever retrospective the band might plan for DUTG next year, for example. But yeah, of course if/when I feel the band's music has continued down a path where there's not much more to say, then I probably will participate less or not at all (in fact, I already do post much less than I did before), just like my original post implied. No need to rush that process though, not while there are still people that are fun to talk to and interesting things to talk about.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:30 PM by Me & My Arrow »

Me amp; My Arrow

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 11:28 PM »

"Listen" might be my favorite Robby track ever. I always wonder what it would sound like with Johnny on it.

Me Again

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 11:28 PM »

I'm confused.

I have three points to make to you and I'm going to make them short.

1. You can't know what what something states until after you've read it - not before. Try to understand that.

2. Not once did I imply that ALL people are sick of hearing whining about the changing sound. I said people, not all people. Again, I'm not the first person to take issue with the review. I won't be the last.

3. Other posts have no relevance to this topic. How long you've all been on this site has no relevance to this topic. You're jumping in to argue for the sake of arguing. Let it go.

Ummm

You are very presumptuous.

How, exactly, would you possibly know why I am posting?  You are not me, nor have I ever discussed anything with you before now.

People is plural. I was looking for clarification that you were not including everyone in your opinion.

I never said how long one has been the site was relevant. I said I've enjoyed reading Me & My Arrow's posts for that long. It's the truth!

And why is it that you seem to think I am not allowed to post MY opinion?

Jonboy414

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 11:41 AM »
I wonder how "Use Me" will be live.  The chorus is Ah Ah Ah instead of words.  Johnny can't be singing it a lot I don't think.   Plus, guitar is not strong in the song and Johnny loves to have a guitar in his hands.

Use Me is a song driven my guitar. Almost every part of this song is guided by a acoustic guitar. Songs who aren't based on guitar rythm (Lucky One, Reverse) are performed live. John even performs 'Slow it Down' without guitar. And about that 'ah ah' chorus, So Alive and Sweetest Lie both have a similar chorus and they have played that tons of times, so dont worry!

Ah ok.  You're right, thanks for your assurance!