Goo `s , commercial success AND robby songs ....

· 8 · 1554
Goo `s , commercial success AND robby songs ....
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Please read through before you slay me on this board ....lol
Disclaimer : Im very long time goo fan and love john , robby and yes mike [ but mikes another story for another thread lol ] ..
Talking specifically today about the robby songs and the success of the goo`s . O.k so here goes [ be easy on me and objective as possible please =] ] .
The way I see it between the commercially successful albums of "a boy named goo" to "boxes" I count about 17 robby songs roughly an album and a half full of songs that john could have sung and potentially at least half of them could have been top 25 hits while a very sold chance another 4 0r 5 songs could have been top 10 or even number one hits ......Now I know that robby is a sweetheart and the back bone of the band and has so much pure energy and fun to watch perform live , but from a business stand point [ and it is a business] don't you think that giving johnny another 17 songs over the years would have giving them an even bigger chance at commercial success ?? Correct me if im wrong but what other band has this kind of formula ? A well known front man who has many many hit songs on the radio and then lets the bass player who has never had a single song on the radio and who`s singing skills pale in comparison to the lead singer put 2 or more songs on every cd??? Just odd to me and I thought it might be an interesting discussion for the board .. 8)
Innocence looks good on you ..............

benaraiza

• View Profile
Re: Goo `s , commercial success AND robby songs ....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Please read through before you slay me on this board ....lol
Disclaimer : Im very long time goo fan and love john , robby and yes mike [ but mikes another story for another thread lol ] ..
Talking specifically today about the robby songs and the success of the goo`s . O.k so here goes [ be easy on me and objective as possible please =] ] .
The way I see it between the commercially successful albums of "a boy named goo" to "boxes" I count about 17 robby songs roughly an album and a half full of songs that john could have sung and potentially at least half of them could have been top 25 hits while a very sold chance another 4 0r 5 songs could have been top 10 or even number one hits ......Now I know that robby is a sweetheart and the back bone of the band and has so much pure energy and fun to watch perform live , but from a business stand point [ and it is a business] don't you think that giving johnny another 17 songs over the years would have giving them an even bigger chance at commercial success ?? Correct me if im wrong but what other band has this kind of formula ? A well known front man who has many many hit songs on the radio and then lets the bass player who has never had a single song on the radio and who`s singing skills pale in comparison to the lead singer put 2 or more songs on every cd??? Just odd to me and I thought it might be an interesting discussion for the board .. 8)

I think is a fair question to ask.  In a simple answer I believe they do it because it has been a formula that has worked and I think it keeps a good vibe and chemistry between John and Robby.  I think if the label or even John himself told Robby he no longer got to write and record his own couple songs that the band would have broke up long ago.  Just my opinion

Pon

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I think that a lot of Robby songs would have been better off under Johnny....and I think vice versa...music wise. Business wise, yes, I think if John did Robby songs...they definitely would be even more successful. There are a lot of bad Johnny songs..and a lot of good Robby songs. Imagine if Johnny sang the good Robby songs??

At the same time...I don't know if Johnny would sound better singing some Robby songs. For example.."2nd time around" is an AMAZING song! "Already there" is great too. AS well as "extra pale". "Domino" too. I'm not convinced that Johnny could do better. Again, as I said, there are a lot of bad Johnny songs...probably could have been better under Robby. A lot of songs would have not been hits by either guys...but would have sounded better under Robby.

I personally miss the older days with more equal songs. That time, instead of John spreading out his efforts and making a lot of bad songs..he would focus on making less but better songs. Aboynamedgoo and Carwash was great because it was split and both did great songs.

Also, I'm not convinced that Robby is not as marketable. Sometimes it takes a while and continued effort..but I don't think Robby made much effort after John got a hit. I think both of them were just increasing their chances by having 2 singers and whoever get the hit..roll with it and glad they got jobs...which is pretty cool. If every band did that, they would be much more successful.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:45 PM »
I wasn't talking about john singing the robby songs , what I ment was john singing 17 of his own songs ...Not in the vein of robby songs, rather in johns own style that we know and love and have made this band so great ! Imagine 17 more of those over the years ! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Innocence looks good on you ..............

GooWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:03 PM »
I think Robby should just concede and maybe just put one song on the album and just sing a couple of songs at a concert.  At most of the concerts it seems that the crowd takes a breather when Robby is singing. I would think Robby and John realize this but for whatever reason they want to keep things as is.

If I remember correctly, Hall and Oates used to split songs, but after they became popular, Hall sang everything.

I would think John could have a successful solo career here in his later years, but I doubt that he would leave Robby.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:05 PM by GooWest »

Me & My Arrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:17 PM »
I think you guys are missing an important component: Johnny and Robby's relationship. I have a feeling that, based on Johnny's insecurities and difficulties over the years, the band wouldn't exist if Robby didn't stay a part of it. I'd also guess that that factor is even more important now that Mike's gone and the band's back to its original "core." Yes, I'm not a big fan of Robby's songs, generally, and yes, I'd prefer to hear many of them with Johnny singing, but 2 songs/album seems a small price to pay if it keeps the band together.

However, I also would be super psyched to hear where Johnny would head if he left the major-label world and went back to focusing on creating music as a solo songwriter. Especially after hearing Boxes, I'm not sure I will be into future GGD albums (if they keep following the trajectory of evolving to match up with pop trends), so Johnny's musical output outside of the "big machine" is the next thing I'm really looking forward to.

KevinsSong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 03:44 AM »
Agree that it is probably most likely a relationship dynamic between John and Robby. In saying that Robby usually has at least one good song on an album and if he didn't release one or two there may be a chance Johnny puts a few songs on there which are average. I can understand why they would go either way

Leo Dalton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 05:54 AM »
I've said for a while now that they should have Robby's songs as bonus ones on the fan/deluxe editions of the albums that they release.

It tends to only really be the hardcore GGD's fans that appreciate Robby's songs, not the casual listener of concert goer. It also pops up in quite a lot of the critic reviews of their albums with the critics being confused as to why 2 songs on each album are Robby's songs.

I actually really like some of Robby's songs (although I'm not a fan of either on Boxes) but then I'm a hardcore fan. My dad, and brother, for example, are fairly casual fans and just don't understand why they can't have 2 more Johnny songs - just like the critics.

So, save Robby for the hardcore fans, I'd say and put his tracks as bonus ones.