Show Review

· 7 · 1725

Amory

• View Profile
Show Review
« on: June 04, 2016, 10:50 PM »
A Quick Dip in the Goo Pool….or a review of the Get To Know Show at the J-Bar in Olathe, KS.

I was lucky enough to win a radio call-in contest (caller 25) and got to take three friends with me.  I took my Husband (Mike), Kaye and Becky.  This experience took place at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Olathe and it was a beautiful hotel with an amazing view from the open air bar.  Prior to going upstairs we checked in and were told we could write down some questions for John to answer during the show.  After thinking up carefully crafted questions like “Can you curl your tongue?” and “Name a word that rhymes with Olathe” we headed upstairs!   ;D  The food spread wasn’t quite ready but they had a table of water and tea and a cash bar.  In a few minutes the buffet was ready and we snacked on pork and chicken tenders on a stick with different sauces, they had cheeseburger sliders and an array of fruits and veggies!  Yum!  The table directly in front of the stage was taken by employees of the radio station…hmmm…and a young lady who injured her leg on a jet ski.  Zoom out and go back!  We invaded the table just to the left/right and visited with one of the radio peep’s husband until the show started.  Johnny “superstar” Rzeznik came out pretty much right on time and first played Rebel Beat.  It was really wonderful to be that close and really be able to see him perform!  I tried to sit but I just can’t sit through Goo songs so I had to get out of my seat by song two so I could enjoy it…hope my clapping (no jumping I controlled myself) wasn’t too distracting.  John mentioned that playing outside with such a beautiful view was distracting!

JR sounded great…not that I had forgotten that voice...but will confess to missing it!  Between some of the songs one of the DJ’s asked some of the questions written down earlier.  The ones read were not as clever as the above mentioned inquiries but one was pretty good, “What would you play if the world was about to end and it would be the last song you ever played?” (maybe not an exact quote but you get the gist of it) After a little thought John said “It has to be Iris right…” and then said “I would play whatever the person with me wanted to hear.”  Cue the “awes” from the audience!  The other songs played were So Alive, The Pin, Slide and Broadway! 

John seemed to enjoy interacting with the group and we felt free to shout out some other info to him…like “love the new record” and “love the new video” which prompted a discussion at that point between John and Kaye about which video she didn’t like.  It was funny!  Earlier in the show, although JR didn’t really look worried, he asked one fan not to kick his ass!  John also mentioned as he was driving to the hotel he saw a sign for Lawrence, Kansas, and he remembered playing at the Bottleneck back in the day.  At the very beginning, the DJ introduced Johnny as a “superstar” which I think embarrassed JR just a little bit.  John said something like “I don’t know about that superstar business.” There was more interaction but those are the highlights. 
There were no issues with the equipment but John did make the mic go limp!  LOL…JR is so funny with the one-liners!  I am biased but I thought all the songs sounded great.  John said he messed up on one but I didn’t notice.  Immediately after Broadway (which I loved hearing) they did the Meet and Greets.  Hubby and I got a pic and because the people in charge wanted two people to go at a time I went through again with my friend Becky…sorry JR not being a stalker…they made me do it!  When Kaye went up for her picture John said to her “You’re my biggest fan and my worst critic.” But he was smiling and laughing as he said it.   To wrap things up…JR left immediately after the photo’s; as he was heading to the van down below he flashed us the peace sign…which was great to see as well!  Hope the record does well and the tour goes great this summer.  Thank you to everyone involved setting up this mini show…it was awesome after a long period of no live Goo! 

Amory  (f/k/a LandofOzGoo)

Kaye

• View Profile
Re: Show Review
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 11:13 PM »
THANK YOU AMORY for inviting me to come!! It was worth (I think--I will need to inquire into my checkbook) the $156 speeding ticket, then sitting 2 stores away from an armed robbery (when the detective came up to my friend & I to ask us if we saw anything.. we had no clue.. we had only been sitting outside at that table for over an hour!) The mall was crawling with police officers by then & I was ready to meet Amory at the J Bar, so it was time to get out of there. I'm glad I didn't see any armed robbers!! Here is a video of The Pin from the acoustic show.. It actually has a few of the comments that Amory commented in her review!! Great Job, A!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:03 AM by Kaye »

Amory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:33 PM »
Great video Kaye!  So darn funny!

Gen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:11 AM »
Thanks for posting your reviews and videos guys! Glad you had a great time!

OnlyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Sounds like fun was had by all! Thanks for posting, we always appreciate your reviews and videos!
"Keep your memories but don’t live the past..."

sandchair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:07 AM »
Wow, thanks so much for posting.  Lots of fun to watch!

SuzieH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:24 PM »
Great review, obviously a great time. Love the cool little shows - so lucky you won!